Lug connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

berzerk

What is the rule for connecting a lug directly to a bolted bus bar connection? I would think it would be illegal since the connection can be unbolted allowing the lug to fall.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't know that there is a "rule" other than altering listed equipment.
If I may say so, I find the question to be a bit humorous seeing as you work work a gear manufacturer. Over the years the prohibiting factor I have most encountered is that the gear manufacturer will not allow it due to the listing.
(No disrespect intended)

berzerk

I don't know that there is a "rule" other than altering listed equipment.
If I may say so, I find the question to be a bit humorous seeing as you work work a gear manufacturer. Over the years the prohibiting factor I have most encountered is that the gear manufacturer will not allow it due to the listing.
(No disrespect intended)

Wow! i'm surprised there is no rule for that. It seems odd that i can bolt a machanical lug directly to one of the bolts, say a four bolt connection, to a bus bar connection. I thought that there was some rule stating that sort of like you cannot bolt a lug to a connection with an insulator.

Just curious, why would you think it would be altering my own equipment? We are a U.L. 891 shop. We can alter anybody's equipment as long as we do it in our shop.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Wow! i'm surprised there is no rule for that. It seems odd that i can bolt a machanical lug directly to one of the bolts, say a four bolt connection, to a bus bar connection. I thought that there was some rule stating that sort of like you cannot bolt a lug to a connection with an insulator.

There may well be one... I;'m not aware of it in the NEC (does not mean it's not there). sounds more like a rule by the listing agency.
Zog, or others, may be aware and add input.

Just curious, why would you think it would be altering my own equipment? We are a U.L. 891 shop. We can alter anybody's equipment as long as we do it in our shop.

I thought you were asking about a "field" conversion, not a conversion by a UL shop.

SG-1

We do this all the time in medium voltage switchgear, if I understand you correctly. How else would you connect a PT ( potential transformers ) to monitor bus voltage ? The lugs are crimp type & bolt directly to the bus bars at the joint inside the boots. If you are 600 volts or below you may not have any insulation ( boots ) around the joints. The bus joint would have to come apart for the lug to fall. If the bus joint were that loose it would cause a melt down & catastrophic failure long before the lug could fall. It may be ejected under those conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.