Mobile Homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

Scenario, existing mobile home with a 100 Amp meter capacity feeds a pedastal that has a 50 A 120/240V receptacle. Customer wants to upgrade service to 200 Amps and have a disconnect outside which will feed a 200A panel inside. I told them this is overkill but hey they want it, plus they are getting a tankless water heater but that wont pull more than 50 amps. I still say the 100 amp service is fine. This is only a like a 10' X 30' mobile home. My question is do I need to leave the 50A receptacle pedastal outside if Im going to have a more permanant setup, PVC from outside disconnect going underground then coming up into a panel inside? Or can I totally delete that pedastal? Also do I need to have a main breaker type panel inside the mobile home if I will have one outside mounted on the pole within 30'?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I see no reason for you to keep the 50 amp pedestal. 550.11 does require a main disconnect inside a mobile home.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Scenario, existing mobile home with a 100 Amp meter capacity feeds a pedastal that has a 50 A 120/240V receptacle. Customer wants to upgrade service to 200 Amps and have a disconnect outside which will feed a 200A panel inside. I told them this is overkill but hey they want it, plus they are getting a tankless water heater but that wont pull more than 50 amps. I still say the 100 amp service is fine. This is only a like a 10' X 30' mobile home. My question is do I need to leave the 50A receptacle pedastal outside if Im going to have a more permanant setup, PVC from outside disconnect going underground then coming up into a panel inside? Or can I totally delete that pedastal? Also do I need to have a main breaker type panel inside the mobile home if I will have one outside mounted on the pole within 30'?

You will need to leave the pedestal, it is the required outside disconnect and also the main OCPD. You need a distribution panel inside with a main breaker also. You need each circuit protected by OCPD according to the circuit/wire size.

You will treat the inside panel as a sub panel, keeping the neutrals and grounds separated. The neutral ground bond will be outside at the main service panel.

Read Article 550 for instructions on mobile homes.

david

I see no reason for you to keep the 50 amp pedestal. 550.11 does require a main disconnect inside a mobile home.

550.32 Service Equipment.
I would think the service disconnect. whitch is currently a 50 rec and a 50 amp cord would have to remain. Upgraded to a 200 amp service disconnect if i am understanding correctly

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

He may not need the 50A, but will need whatever size disconnect & OCPD that will serve the mobile home after the upgrade. There has to be an outside service disconnect.

chevyx92

He may not need the 50A, but will need whatever size disconnect & OCPD that will serve the mobile home after the upgrade. There has to be an outside service disconnect.

Yes there will be a 200 amp raintight disconnect or paneland then from there there will be a 2 inch conduit going underground in coming up on the inside of the mobile home to feed a 200 amp panel inside with a main breaker in it I was not sure if the 50 amp pedestal outside needs to remain.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Just so I have not misunderstood and given you wrong info. I think it is clear by the other folks posts that you do need an outside service disconnect with provisions for adding circuits in addition to an inside panel with a main. In reading your OP I ASSUMED the 50 amp pedestal was just a pedestal for a 50 amp receptacle. If that is the case, there is no need for that.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Yes there will be a 200 amp raintight disconnect or paneland then from there there will be a 2 inch conduit going underground in coming up on the inside of the mobile home to feed a 200 amp panel inside with a main breaker in it I was not sure if the 50 amp pedestal outside needs to remain.

In that case, you have it right and can do away with the 50A.

Just so I have not misunderstood and given you wrong info. I think it is clear by the other folks posts that you do need an outside service disconnect with provisions for adding circuits in addition to an inside panel with a main. In reading your OP I ASSUMED the 50 amp pedestal was just a pedestal for a 50 amp receptacle. If that is the case, there is no need for that.

Seems as I didn't see where he mentioned having another outside disconnect, but he did ask about doing away with the 50A and I thought he meant not having an outside disc. at all.

Older eyes worked better than my "on the way to being" older eyes this time!:):angel:

growler

they are getting a tankless water heater but that wont pull more than 50 amps. I still say the 100 amp service is fine.

You has better check out the size of this tankless water heater because most of them require a lot more than 50 Amps.

The size of the mobile home doesn't mean anything as far as the size service needed. You need to do a load calculation and see what would be required. Many people switch over to electric range and electric heat and from a gas to electric water heater and this starts to add up.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
In that case, you have it right and can do away with the 50A.

Seems as I didn't see where he mentioned having another outside disconnect, but he did ask about doing away with the 50A and I thought he meant not having an outside disc. at all.

Older eyes worked better than my "on the way to being" older eyes this time!:):angel:

I went back and read it a couple of times and still wasn't 100%... especially when questions started.
The old eyes don't seem to be as much of a problem as the old brain... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.