Use of anode for fence grounding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McCES

This is a new one for me. Has anyone heard of attaching anodes to the fence perimeter ground loop of an above-ground pipeline compound? I have seen anodes used to protect the pipe when it is installed underground. I don't see what the benefit would be to installing anodes and attaching them to the perimeter ground loop when there are no pipes in the ground.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Are you being asked to install them for pay?

The benefit would seem to be getting paid to do it. Based on your description I don't think it will do any "good" other than you being paid for the work.

However, it is also possible you are missing something in what is going on or you are not relaying the whole picture, possibly because you do not know the whole story of what is going on.

My theory has become if someone wants to pay me to do something, unless there is some reason it is unsafe, or just plain will not work at what the guy with the money wants it to do, I no longer worry about it.

BTW - nice looking dogs.

Last edited:

brian john

I would bet this is a job spec that was put in as a precautionary measure, by an enginner that designs the pipelines, and in my VERY LIMITED expierence, those ( metallic pipe lines) always specify cathotic protection.

McCES

Turns out this client has used anodes in the past to improve soil conductivity instead of packing ground rods in bentonite. His reasoning depends on soil conditions but he prefers anodes to bentonite since they last 5 times longer. Just bury a bag of magnesium beside the ground rod and tie the bag lead to the ground grid and you're good to go.....
I'll wait for a soils report before I go down this road.

As for the dogs, thanks for the compliment. Rescue dogs and mutts make the best pets. Don't mess with their owners or else!

Status
Not open for further replies.