cord reel mounted above ACT ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi constant

Can you mount a retractable cord reel above an ACT ceiling, but have it plugged into a receptacle below the ceiling. I say no, citing 400.8(5).

In this scenario the engineer wants to mount the cord reel to the structure, put a grommet in the ACT and a stopper on the cord reel to keep the retractable receptacles all below the ceiling, and then fish the cord reel plug through the ceiling to plug into a receptacle mounted below ACT.

Thanks!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Can you mount a retractable cord reel above an ACT ceiling, but have it plugged into a receptacle below the ceiling. I say no, citing 400.8(5).

In this scenario the engineer wants to mount the cord reel to the structure, put a grommet in the ACT and a stopper on the cord reel to keep the retractable receptacles all below the ceiling, and then fish the cord reel plug through the ceiling to plug into a receptacle mounted below ACT.

Thanks!

I think it is nominally a code violation. But, it is not something that has not been done tens of thousands of times.

How high above the ceiling is the structure? Can you run a piece of strut down thru the ceiling to mount the cord reel on?

malachi constant

After reviewing this with the architect they have decided to put the cord reel and associated receptacle in an inverted box - imagine removing an ACT tile, and turning a 2x2 box upside down and setting it on the opening. Cord reel is not concealed as it is completely visible and accessible from below, but the ceiling looks a lot cleaner. I don't see anything wrong with this solution. Maybe there is some issue with sprinkling or something, but I think the box is small enough it would be exempt.

Thanks!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I think it is nominally a code violation.

I think that the "fishing the cord through the ceiling" part in both directions (supply side and output side of the reel) is the code problem. The box solution looks like an elegant way out. It will also allow the cord to be retracted higher for clearance, if it is low enough ceiling for that to be a problem.

templdl

My concern always has been the type of load the retractable cord is exposed to. So thought has to be considered concerning the heat that can be built up in any of the cord that is still wound up. The current rating for such a conducted is based upon open air. By not completely extending the retractable cord there is a risk of damaging the cord because of heating.
Just a thought.

iwire

Staff member
My concern always has been the type of load the retractable cord is exposed to. So thought has to be considered concerning the heat that can be built up in any of the cord that is still wound up. The current rating for such a conducted is based upon open air. By not completely extending the retractable cord there is a risk of damaging the cord because of heating.
Just a thought.

Most if not all cord reels say to pull all the cord out before applying a load but of course that is never done.

Status
Not open for further replies.