Light bulbs burning out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a call from a fit club and they said some fluorescents and halogen bulbs are burning out. Now a pendant with a small halogen just blew up like a fire cracker. I have no idea where to start. Voltage from street?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Good place to start, but be sure to check at the lamp location also. Deficiencies in the system could cause a higher voltage anywhere in the system.
Multitude of possibilities but I would rule out a voltage issue first.
POCO's voltage might be a bit high, or a loose neutral situation can cause a high voltage.
Make sure to check it more than once with various equipment in operation.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I got a call from a fit club and they said some fluorescents and halogen bulbs are burning out. Now a pendant with a small halogen just blew up like a fire cracker. I have no idea where to start. Voltage from street?

Check the panel where the circuits are coming from , there could be heat damage from over loading.

Welcome to the forum.:thumbsup:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Look for a loose neutral as that can increase the voltage on one leg while decreasing it on the other. It may be just slightly loose.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
I agree with Dennis.
Loose or broken neutral at the 20A breaker subpanel.
If that looks ok then check the XO to ground connection at the supply transformer which
can raise the phase to ground voltages to the lights....been there...done that:)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

What are the voltages.
It's all speculation at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.