lack of knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

__dan

We were at a church group hay ride where it was raining,and we all held hands and said a short prayer that it would quit raining.
I was on the end and as i bowed my head I looked over and saw an electric fence wire within reaching distance.
I reached out and grabbed ahold of the electric fence,,,,,,,,,, the chain reaction that took place looking down that line of wet people was quite miraculous.Although it never did quit raining.

Crazy thing is, after they found out what had happened they all wanted to do it again.:)

We werent the coldest beers in the fridge thats for sure.

There is a youtube video, think it was myth busters, lined up ten college students hand to hand, I forget if they were barefoot (could be). So guy at the end is grounded and guy at the other end touches the electric cattle fence. Interestingly, the first four or five guys get launched and the guys farther downstream claim they feel nothing. Of course the guys who feel nothing want to repeat the test several times.

HS freshman year IPS, introductory physical science. The teacher is momentarily out of the room and somebody finds the hand held high voltage zapper. It looks like an electric hair clipper with a high voltage tip that draws an arc to metal. So they are zapping the metal blackboard rail and giggling. Then they hold the rail while the guy zaps it, they are not grounded or in the path, so more nothing. I see this and tell them they have to be grounded and in the path. Now I'm in on this and we have six or so idiots hand to hand, one guy at the blackboard rail, other guy at the cold water pipe (as indicated). I saw the guy zap the blackboard rail, threw my hands up breaking the connection, and we all woke up on the floor.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Things I have been shocked by. Electrically, that is. I will try to keep it in chronological order.

AC mains at home. Finger in light socket, finger in receptacle. (age 5)

A discharging capacitor from an AM tube radio (age 13)

The output of a telephone generator (age 14)

The ignition of a 125 cc race bike (age 16)

The ignition of a 1965 Studebaker (age 17)

The ignitions of MANY car engines, some were 25 kV (age 17 and up)

The phone line, in my mouth, when the phone rang. I was stripping insulation off the wire with my teeth. That was 90 volts I will never forget. (age 22)

A small cattle prod. I think it was made for people. (age 25)

A welder. (age 30) I will stop at 30. Yes, I should have learned by then.....so I became an electrician.

AC mains not at home. I probably have taken 120 VAC more than 100 times in my life.

480 out of a three phase panel.

277, neck on ceiling grid, sweaty hands in j-box

The discharge circuit of a camera's flash

The output of a 500 volt 'Megger'

The output of a hi-pot (85 kV, set at 25)

Trick lighters. Since I am used to getting jolted, I love it when a person hands me a trick 'shocking' lighter. I click it a couple times and hand it back. Guess what they do? Oh, yeah, that is SO funny!!

I'll bet as soon as I enter this, I will think of more.

Last edited:

Electrogrunt

When I first got into the electrical field I remember talking with my father about it. He was an electronics expert, and said that he never really met electricians who worked in the construction field who really understood electricity. In the years since, I have met many good electricians who had a good grasp of electrical theory and troubleshooting. The ironic thing about my dad, is that he knew nothing about the NEC, and some of his home wiring was abominable, and contained many code violations. In my opinion, a good electrician is one who does his best, admits his ignorance, and tries to continually improve. I have also met ones who seem to think that because they were trained a certain way to do something, that their way is the only way. I have seen this in other trades and professions as well, from doctors to accountants. They come in all spectrums of competents.

Things I have been shocked by. Electrically, that is. I will try to keep it in chronological order.

AC mains at home. Finger in light socket, finger in receptacle. (age 5)

A discharging capacitor from an AM tube radio (age 13)

The output of a telephone generator (age 14)

The ignition of a 125 cc race bike (age 16)

The ignition of a 1965 Studebaker (age 17)

The ignitions of MANY car engines, some were 25 kV (age 17 and up)

The phone line, in my mouth, when the phone rang. I was stripping insulation off the wire with my teeth. That was 90 volts I will never forget. (age 22)

A small cattle prod. I think it was made for people. (age 25)

A welder. (age 30) I will stop at 30. Yes, I should have learned by then.....so I became an electrician.

AC mains not at home. I probably have taken 120 VAC more than 100 times in my life.

480 out of a three phase panel.

277, neck on ceiling grid, sweaty hands in j-box

The discharge circuit of a camera's flash

The output of a 500 volt 'Megger'

The output of a hi-pot (85 kV, set at 25)

Trick lighters. Since I am used to getting jolted, I love it when a person hands me a trick 'shocking' lighter. I click it a couple times and hand it back. Guess what they do? Oh, yeah, that is SO funny!!

I'll bet as soon as I enter this, I will think of more.

Thats a pretty good resume you have built up. I also got the 50v phone line in the mouth shock, also trying to strip wire with teeth. I have always wondered if there was anyone else on this earth who had that momentary bit of stupidity. I got 7500 from a neon sign transformer. That was super unpleasant.

hardworkingstiff

I got 7500 from a neon sign transformer. That was super unpleasant.
I got 15,000 from a neon transformer, and that hurt. Knocked me back on my butt. I can't remember how exactly I got into it, but I sure was more careful after that. It was early in my carrier when I knew so much more than I do now. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.