duration of UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
WAIT for a more kjnowledgable answer but best as I can tell, 1-1/2 hours baesd on 700.12(C)

Last edited:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Life safety and critical branches typically need a generator for backup. A UPS without a generator usually wouldn't suffice.

In fact, unless the UPS is listed for emergency operation, I'm not sure a UPS would even be permitted to be in the Critical Branch or Life Safety Branch.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Life safety and critical branches typically need a generator for backup. A UPS without a generator usually wouldn't suffice.

In fact, unless the UPS is listed for emergency operation, I'm not sure a UPS would even be permitted to be in the Critical Branch or Life Safety Branch.

Even if that UPS is just intended to bridge the gap to generator start and will fail safe to bypass mode? I can see that a dual conversion UPS could be a problem.

brian john

I believe you need an approved BACK UP typically a lighting inverter and they are normally IPS (Interruptible). I do not believe you can soley rely on a lighting inverter for hospital use unless backed up by a generator then typical times are 7-15 minutes.

But I could be wrong as I am too lazy to grab the book.

david

(C) Uninterruptible Power Supplies. Uninterruptible power supplies used to provide power for emergency systems shall comply with the applicable provisions of 700.12(A) and (B).

(A) Storage Battery. Storage batteries used as a source of power for emergency systems shall be of suitable rating and capacity to supply and maintain the total load for a minimum period of 11/2 hours, without the voltage applied to the load falling below 871/2 percent of normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.