EATON PANEL PROBLEMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 100amp main breaker panel that is being fed from a 100amp breaker disconnect. When I powered everything up stabs 1, 7, 15, 16, 18 & 20 I am not getting any power. I am wondering if anyone has had this problem before. When I tested the feed coming into the sub panel, I got the correct readings for line to line, line to neutral and line to ground. I am thinking the weld in the back might be shotty and will just have to replace the guts. Thank you for any and all assistance.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Sounds like you have the troubleshooting under control. There are not many reasons for which a few panel stabs have no power while most do.

But just to verify you are not overlooking the obvious, how are you testing these particular stabs? A common arrangement for stabs is to supply breaker spaces on both left and right sides. If your panel is of this design, it seems quite odd that space_1 has no power yet space_2 does, assuming you are using odd left, even right numbering. If this is the case, and you are testing power on the load side of the breakers, check that the breakers are working properly first by swapping out with a known good one and visually inspecting the stab and receiver when you take the breaker out.

Last edited:
When I said stab 1, 7, ect. ect. I meant the entire stab, so stab 1 is for ckts 1 & 2, stab 7 is for ckts 7 & 8 ect. I tried switching a known good breaker to stabs w/o power but to no aval.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Did you check the line voltage coming in with a load? If so and everything is fine and you still have no power on the stabs then it may be that there is something on those stabs that is non conductive-- very odd indeed.

I was thinking it may be a split buss panel at first but the numbering is arbitrary. Ohm out the buss

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have seen this on a 3? panel where a few of the screws used to connect the stab to the phase bus was missing. :jawdrop:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dennis have you ever heard of that or had that happen to you before ?
No I have not. The buss on these residential panels are made of two continuous piece of metal, one for each phase, so I cant imagine what the problem could be other than some non conductive material on the buss or a bad weld if the stabs are welded.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
3 Phase panel? Ckts 1&2 7&8 13&14 19&20...hmm numbers aren't adding up:?

Try 1,2,3; 4,5,6 for two three phase breakers. Then 7,8,9; 10,11,12 for the next two? etc? Seems to fit the sequence. (The 3 is silent) :)
But it also fits 1,2; 3,4; 5,6; just as well.

rcwilson

3 Phase panel? Ckts 1&2 7&8 13&14 19&20...hmm numbers aren't adding up:?

Every third row is out. Sounds like a three phase panel with a missing A phase bus bar:

A 1-2 dead
B 3-4
C 5-6
A 7-8 dead
B 9-10
C 11-12
A 13-14 dead
B 15-16
C 17-18
A 19-20 dead
B 21- 22
C 23-24

Never mind numbers don't add up.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Depends what we see in the picture. Hopefully the panel in question with cover removed, and not the neighbors flower garden.
:)

Having a tough time visualizing this and not thinking that it is a 3 ph panel.
Well perhaps the OP'er will oblige...

...but IMO, I doubt we'll be able to determine any defective aspect (that the OP'er can't) from a picture. Likely no more so than a picture of the neighbor's flower garden. :D

Eatom Panel

Eatom Panel

I have a 100amp main breaker panel that is being fed from a 100amp breaker disconnect. When I powered everything up stabs 1, 7, 15, 16, 18 & 20 I am not getting any power. I am wondering if anyone has had this problem before. When I tested the feed coming into the sub panel, I got the correct readings for line to line, line to neutral and line to ground. I am thinking the weld in the back might be shotty and will just have to replace the guts. Thank you for any and all assistance.

Check the screws that connect the vertical bus to the stabs. They may not all be there

Status
Not open for further replies.