burned up microwave

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymari

prop mgmnt co. sent me to a call where tenant wants reimbursement for a microwave she claims faulty receptacle caused it to burn out. Of course they sent a handyman before me to swap out GFCI, now asked me to doublechk electrical. He installed Gfci fine as it was a no brainer dead end. My findings, GFCI fine, polarity throughout kitchen fine, checked panel and kitchen is not a multiwire circuit so not a neutral issue plus all was tight and its a 2 year old building brand new panel and electrical which looks good. I never saw recept which was replaced but even if it was faulty could that burn out a microwave? My thought is shes just trying to get a free microwave as she of course threw it away so I couldnt see it. Any thoughts on possible causes? Again electrical checks out ok and its a 2 wire circuit not multiwire

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Microwaves hate voltage drop, she probably had a coffee maker plugged into the same circuit, turned on at the same time. How far away is the kitchen from the panel? The panel from the meter group? All that was probably wrong with the microwave was a blown internal fuse.

bobbymari

panel 30 feet away voltage reading 121v at recept. coffee maker pluged in as u mentioned in a different adjacent recept but yes same circuit. meter group 40' from there. not a long run. ill add suggestion of moving coffee pot to other countertop which is seperate small appliance circuit. thanks

Last edited:

SG-1

I now suspect that a bad 15A breaker kill a new microwave. The oven was returned, & a different brand was purchased.

The second microwave caused the breaker to trip, when it was running & some other lights were on. the microwave was pulling 17+ amps by itself. During the troubleshooting I could hear the breaker arcing inside. That microwave went back. The same make & model as the first microwave was purchased & has been in service a good while now with a new breaker.

I replace all the 15 amp breakers in the panel. Several breakers had signs of over heating in the same spot. When I opened one the hot spot location was where a braided conductor was welded to solid piece of copper, not at the contact, where I was expecting it to be.

mlnk

Is the MW in a bedroom or living room? In the kitchen or dining room I think it would be on a 20 amp circuit.

jumper

I now suspect that a bad 15A breaker kill a new microwave. The oven was returned, & a different brand was purchased.

The second microwave caused the breaker to trip, when it was running & some other lights were on. the microwave was pulling 17+ amps by itself. During the troubleshooting I could hear the breaker arcing inside. That microwave went back. The same make & model as the first microwave was purchased & has been in service a good while now with a new breaker.

I replace all the 15 amp breakers in the panel. Several breakers had signs of over heating in the same spot. When I opened one the hot spot location was where a braided conductor was welded to solid piece of copper, not at the contact, where I was expecting it to be.

Is this a reply to the OP?:?

Status
Not open for further replies.