what is a Bonding and Grounding Continuity test

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian john

What is a Bonding and Grounding Continuity test and how do you do it?

I have asked this question of engineers when I read this requirement in specifications ( I have seen this twice) and their response "You should know you do the testing, what do you normally do."

jumper

I have asked this question of engineers when I read this requirement in specifications ( I have seen this twice) and their response "You should know you do the testing, what do you normally do."

Typical BS response by a clueless EE or management dweeb. (note: EE members here, I do not include you all in this statement.)

What I do, a low grade continuity test with a DMM, is way different than the analysis you do.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
We're having an NRTL test one of our installations (racks and cable trays) and this is one thing they do. First its visual -- can you see that everything is well bonded that is supposed to be. Then, they'll put some type of current limited source (about 10A) onto metal objects with the other probe at the main ground. If they can't get 10A through those bonded surfaces, you fail.

brian john

We're having an NRTL test one of our installations (racks and cable trays) and this is one thing they do. First its visual -- can you see that everything is well bonded that is supposed to be. Then, they'll put some type of current limited source (about 10A) onto metal objects with the other probe at the main ground. If they can't get 10A through those bonded surfaces, you fail.

While that will definitely prove continuity, what you are describing is a point to point resistance test, utilizing a Ductor/DLRO/Microhm-meter.

Lost_RFTech

A ground continuity test was a common requirement to comply with various European and UK (BSI and BABT) product safety tests back in the days when I was involved with that sort of thing in the telecom industry. The test typically required a hefty current (25A) be routed from the equipment ground connection (cord set or hardwired) and exposed metal parts.
<0.5 ohms was a common pass/fail criteria.
Failures were rare, but the ones that occurred were real head turners. Poor crimps or loose lugs that would have passed a low power DMM test all day long really made you appreciate the validity of the test.

FWIW, we had a dedicated piece of test equipment that performed the 25A test. Most hi-pot test systems also perform a ground continuity test but it is typically done at a lower current more on the order of 0.5 A.

Status
Not open for further replies.