Contractor doing electrical work

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks for the reply guys. As John 120/240 said the contractor (carpenter) took it upon himself to do electrical work on his own without contacting me. I won't have know if it wasn't for the call I received from the homeowner about outlets not working. Update .... I contacted him today and informed him that I was very unhappy with what he did and that he was risking my license by his actions. I told him I was going to repair his shotty work and bill him. He had the nerve to tell me to give him an estimate first. I'm considering reporting him to town officials and the NJ electrical board. I don't even think this guy has a home contractors license and I'm afraid I'm going to get stiffed when it gets time to get paid. Any suggestions on how to get my money from this guy?

You could try to get the money from the homeowner who could deduct it from his fee to install the door, you could just repair it and forget about it or you could do some research to find out whether or not he is a licensed home improvement contractor and if not go down that road. The latter seems like a lot of aggravation for the sake of repairing two receptacle boxes and a piece of cable.

__dan

Your money should come from the homeowner, not the carpenter.

Exactly.

Without reading the entire thread:

If you were hired by the carpenter and have not worked directly for the homeowner, you are a third party in the contract between the homeowner and the GC and have no rights or obligations on the homeowner regarding his contract with the GC. You would not be responsible for the carpenter's negligence as a third party and you also cannot touch anything without the owner's permission.

Now that you have received notice of something maybe illegal and electrical, you can accept this by doing nothing (and get caught up in it with the AHJ or the insurer) or you can reject this liability attaching to your license by giving notice of deficiency to the AHJ and the owner. IMO you have no choice but to report possible malfeasance so you do not get attached to the wrong side of this. Then you would be out of it and the owner, GC, and AHJ can work it out between themselves.

If the carpenter is your friend, you can try the informal solution first and email him your concerns and ask what path he wants to go forward with (make a written record). If you fear for your license, reputation, ability to earn a living, go straight to the AHJ to discuss. Permits are public records and open to inspection by all.

kwired

Electron manager
With permits these contractors were required to make free repairs to their installations. .

I don't understand this. If there is a defect that is a result of my installation - I will repair it for free, if it is damaged by owners or anyone else why is it my problem permit or no permit?

Thanks for the reply guys. As John 120/240 said the contractor (carpenter) took it upon himself to do electrical work on his own without contacting me. I won't have know if it wasn't for the call I received from the homeowner about outlets not working. Update .... I contacted him today and informed him that I was very unhappy with what he did and that he was risking my license by his actions. I told him I was going to repair his shotty work and bill him. He had the nerve to tell me to give him an estimate first. I'm considering reporting him to town officials and the NJ electrical board. I don't even think this guy has a home contractors license and I'm afraid I'm going to get stiffed when it gets time to get paid. Any suggestions on how to get my money from this guy?
Your contract is between you and the owner. Make owner go after reimbursement if he wants to do so. Owner is the one who contracted the door to be installed in the first place. That project should have had separate permit, and separate wiring permit if necessary in the first place. This guy did not do wiring under your permit, he did wiring with no permit. It is not your problem other than to report his activity to AHJ if you feel like doing so.

Your money should come from the homeowner, not the carpenter.
Yes.

mivey

I don't understand this. If there is a defect that is a result of my installation - I will repair it for free, if it is damaged by owners or anyone else why is it my problem permit or no permit?
I don't think he was saying it was your problem. I think he was just underlining the positives of requiring permits.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't think he was saying it was your problem. I think he was just underlining the positives of requiring permits.
but what does free repairs have to do with whether or not a permit was issued, outside of maybe correcting violations that were found by inspector. Good installers, however do not have to worry much about correcting violations as they generally get it right the first time.

mivey

but what does free repairs have to do with whether or not a permit was issued
Nothing as long as the contractor has integrity and the repair was for the contractor's own work.

With no permit, Handy-Andy-not-so-Dandy can skate, especially if the homeowner knows nothing about how things should be installed, which is probably the norm.

kwired

Electron manager
Nothing as long as the contractor has integrity and the repair was for the contractor's own work.

With no permit, Handy-Andy-not-so-Dandy can skate, especially if the homeowner knows nothing about how things should be installed, which is probably the norm.
And with or without a permit the contractor is not obligated to making free repairs down the road either. Warranty of a particular installation is a different issue, and has nothing to do with permits or inspections.

mivey

And with or without a permit the contractor is not obligated to making free repairs down the road either. Warranty of a particular installation is a different issue, and has nothing to do with permits or inspections.
Down the road repairs is a different issue.

I thought the 'repair' being discussed here was repairing a non-compliant code installation. This would be completed before a final check was cut and should not add to the price.

RICK NAPIER

What I was reffering to was with a permit these outfits had review of their work and would be required by the inspector to make the work code compliant without passing the charge onto the customer. This often resulted in the less reputable outfit incurring material and time expenses they left out of their bid but would now have to cover.

kwired

Electron manager
Down the road repairs is a different issue.

I thought the 'repair' being discussed here was repairing a non-compliant code installation. This would be completed before a final check was cut and should not add to the price.
The non compliant part was not the permit holders work, he is not responsible for anything done associated with the non permitted work. Owner is free to ask him to repair it, but not at no cost.

What I was reffering to was with a permit these outfits had review of their work and would be required by the inspector to make the work code compliant without passing the charge onto the customer. This often resulted in the less reputable outfit incurring material and time expenses they left out of their bid but would now have to cover.
Again permit holder did nothing wrong here. Go after the guy that did not pull a permit not the one who did things right, and then someone came in behind him and messed it up.

Who pays for what is outside the scope of what AHJ is all about. Any disagreements on charges eventually may go to court of law, not the AHJ. Any AHJ that tells a contractor they are to do something for no charge has overstepped their authority. They are only there to enforce codes not contracts or commerce laws.

mivey

The non compliant part was not the permit holders work, he is not responsible for anything done associated with the non permitted work. Owner is free to ask him to repair it, but not at no cost.
That is what the OP was talking about and I agree. Rick was talking about a different scenario where non-compliant work is done under a permit.

Again permit holder did nothing wrong here. Go after the guy that did not pull a permit not the one who did things right, and then someone came in behind him and messed it up.
Exactly. That is what we are saying.

Who pays for what is outside the scope of what AHJ is all about. Any disagreements on charges eventually may go to court of law, not the AHJ. Any AHJ that tells a contractor they are to do something for no charge has overstepped their authority. They are only there to enforce codes not contracts or commerce laws.
But they are a determining factor in deciding if you got what you paid for.

kwired

Electron manager
But they are a determining factor in deciding if you got what you paid for.
To some extent yes. You can still be overcharged and have substandard work, or get decent work at a modest price. There are incompetent inspectors out there also.

subman

Thanks again for your help guys. Just to clear up a few things....I was not working for the carpenter, he was a contractor the homeowner hired. I worked it out where I repaired the voliation caused by the carpenter and the homeowner payed the bill. Whether they go after the carpenter for the bill, that's there bussiness.

Thanks again for your help guys. Just to clear up a few things....I was not working for the carpenter, he was a contractor the homeowner hired. I worked it out where I repaired the voliation caused by the carpenter and the homeowner payed the bill. Whether they go after the carpenter for the bill, that's there bussiness.

I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm glad the homeowner did the right thing and paid you directly as he/she should have.

Strummed

You have to realize that when you're talking to an inspector from New Jersey you are speaking to a god amongst men and have to bow to his superiority.

No offense to the 1 or 2 NJ inspectors who actually do their job the right way :lol::lol:

kwired

Electron manager
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by kwired

You have to realize that when you're talking to an inspector from New Jersey you are speaking to a god amongst men and have to bow to his superiority.

No offense to the 1 or 2 NJ inspectors who actually do their job the right way :lol::lol:

These inspector actually get involved with who pays for what? I can see them requiring a change to be made - that is what their job is, but it is none of their business who pays for any of it, it is their business who performed the work and if they are licensed or otherwise authorized to do the work.

Strummed

These inspector actually get involved with who pays for what? I can see them requiring a change to be made - that is what their job is, but it is none of their business who pays for any of it, it is their business who performed the work and if they are licensed or otherwise authorized to do the work.
Between my own experiences, what I have been told by other ECs and customers in real life, and what I have read from other ECs online- NJ inspectors stick their noses in all kinds of places that they do not belong. Telling customers that they paid too much, giving negative opinions on the work even though they passed it and said it was code compliant, talking about what other ECs usually do and how the EC on that person's house should have done it that way (opinionated but not code), telling customers to demand extras be included because they normally come as part of the original bid, etc. etc.

kwired

Electron manager
Between my own experiences, what I have been told by other ECs and customers in real life, and what I have read from other ECs online- NJ inspectors stick their noses in all kinds of places that they do not belong. Telling customers that they paid too much, giving negative opinions on the work even though they passed it and said it was code compliant, talking about what other ECs usually do and how the EC on that person's house should have done it that way (opinionated but not code), telling customers to demand extras be included because they normally come as part of the original bid, etc. etc.
Sounds like most of them are likely disgruntled contractors that couldn't make it as a contractor and then got a job as an inspector.

RICK NAPIER

I am not sure who you have been dealing with but in NJ an inspectors opens himself up to a civil suit without the municipality being required to provide legal aid for speaking beyond the scope of his authority particularly discussing what was paid. There was a company in NJ that eventually lost their license that was notorious for excessive over charging. We are talking several thousand dollars for a 200 amp residential service, $2500 for a 100 amp service to an 85 year old half blind little old lady that only needed less than 20' of seu and four twenty amp breakers. But even with this company when asked by the customer if the price was fair I, and the other inspectors I know. say we can't comment on price and if they have any questions call the Board of Examineers of Electrical Contractors because it falls under their authority.

Status
Not open for further replies.