Protecting a control circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Oh my gosh guys,,,,,,, we all know all of this.

If you go to the supply house and ask for a 00 starter, what's going to be in the box when you open it?
A Starter nothing else.(Other than maybe some styofoam and some literaterature for overload selections or where to put the jumper for different types of coil voltage). Oh and maybe a set of extra auxiilliaries on the side of it.

There will be no control transformer or fuse protection for the control power or overload heaters.

The next thing you generally ask for is a set of overloads sized for whatever the amperage of the motor your going to be running.

As far as the control power for it, you'll have to provide that yourself, either by an external power source, a control transformer added to your installation or if your going to use the Line Voltage for your control then you have to decide how you want to protect the #14 control wires your fixing to tap off the line side of the starter which may be fed with a much larger breaker.

To me thats what the OP has, not a MCC bucket,Combo Stater or fabricated motor control cabinets that I work in and fabricate every day.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
To the OP's original question, If it were me, I would Tap the line side of the starter, field install a 2p fuse block in the starter enclosure and then head to the start stop station from there with my control wireing.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If you are running a control circuit that extends beyond a motor starter, how is it protected? For example, a Start/Stop button located 30' from a starter that's fed with large conductors and the control wiring is say #14.
An inline fuse? A fuse block?

What if we are talking about a lighting contactor for warehouse lights. If you tap off of the line terminals (jap) and are going to a wall switch or motion sensor, how would those conductors be protected?

That's more or less the question the OP is asking not me.

What would be your answer?

If the circuits feeding the line terminals of the contactor were say, #12, and protected at 20 Amps then you wouldnt have to add any more protection to come off of the line terminals for the control and go as far as
you wanted to.

But, Thats not the case the OP has. He's got a Starter where the Short Circuit Protection is sized to handle
inrush and is going to tap the line side for control power.

In that case he would need to provide some type of protection for the smaller control wiring.

At least that's what I think he's talking about.

Jap, you either read too fast or your attention span is about as long as mine!:blink::)

"Conmgt" is the OP!:slaphead::D

jap

Occupation
Electrician
What do you think Little Bill? is anything I'm saying makin any sense?

Aleman

If you are running a control circuit that extends beyond a motor starter, how is it protected? For example, a Start/Stop button located 30' from a starter that's fed with large conductors and the control wiring is say #14.
An inline fuse? A fuse block?

Just a simple fuse in the panel is all you need. Can be a fuse block or din mount fuse holders depends on how your stuff is built.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Oh my gosh guys,,,,,,, we all know all of this.

That is correct.

FWIW, you are correct regarding starter vs. combination starter. Ultimately I consider a straight out-of-the-box starter just one part of a complete starter, aka combination starter.

For the fact of the matter herein, the Moeller DIL 0AM spec'd by the OP'er, is a magnetic contactor (manufacturer's terminology)... not a starter.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
A UL listed combination starter would include, disconnect, short circuit protective device, control power transformer with primary and secondary fusing as required, contactor and overload protective element.

Hope your still doing alright.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A UL listed combination starter would include, disconnect, short circuit protective device, control power transformer with primary and secondary fusing as required, contactor and overload protective element.
I don't think that there is any requirement for a control power transformer in a combination stater. Yes, most have them, but they are not needed if you use the line voltage as the control voltage. The code does not prohibit the use of line voltage control systems.

conmgt

Thanks for all of the input!
430.72 answered my question as far as motors are concerned but what about when you are controlling something other than a motor such as resistance heating or lighting?
Is line voltage control wiring in those cases considered Class 3?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thanks for all of the input!
430.72 answered my question as far as motors are concerned but what about when you are controlling something other than a motor such as resistance heating or lighting?
Is line voltage control wiring in those cases considered Class 3?
In my opinion most 120 volt control wiring is non-power limited Class 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.