tesla car charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymari

Got a call to install charging station for a tesla. As Im reading the tesla requirements its showing mobile adaptor to charge with 120v or 240v power. Im I correct in assuming that all that is needed for the tesla is a dedicated 240v outlet/receptacle circuit? From what Im reading here it's not calling for an actual charging station but rather just a dedicated circuit to charge from. it states there are 2 adaptors 120v or 240v for faster charging. Anyone familiar with the tesla needs?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
All you need is a 50Amp 4 prong receptacle on a 40Amp circuit.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
All you need is a 50Amp 4 prong receptacle on a 40Amp circuit.

Gee, that's not at all what I learned from the Tesla website. It would seem to me that there are a number of options to the owner based on the site info. A 50 amp recep on a 40 amp circuit was not one of them.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Right. It looks like 50A recept with 50A breakers or 100A breakers wired to a charging station on the wall. The 100A dual charger looks like an option on the vehicle so it's something you are going to have to check with the customer about before you do this.

-Hal

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Gee, that's not at all what I learned from the Tesla website. It would seem to me that there are a number of options to the owner based on the site info. A 50 amp recep on a 40 amp circuit was not one of them.

Right. It looks like 50A recept with 50A breakers or 100A breakers wired to a charging station on the wall. The 100A dual charger looks like an option on the vehicle so it's something you are going to have to check with the customer about before you do this.

-Hal

This is from Tesla:

One end of the Mobile Connector plugs into the Charge Port and the other end plugs into an outlet. Two outlet adapters are included: one for a standard household outlet and a second adapter for a 240 volt outlet. Many additional adapters are available for purchase.

As stated above other options are available for purchase but a 120V and a 240V adapters are included. So unless the customer has purchased the high power charger then it is safe to assume a 50A (4 prong) receptacle is the best option on a dedicated 40A circuit. IMO.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Because they say "40A continuous load", I would think you need to size the wire and breaker to 125% of that -- 50A breaker on the 50A receptacle.

bobbymari

Because they say "40A continuous load", I would think you need to size the wire and breaker to 125% of that -- 50A breaker on the 50A receptacle.

you are correct just spoke with tesla. it is 40 amp continuos therefore 50 amp dedicated circuit with nema 14-50 recept is what they are calling for. thank u all for input much appreciated.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I apologize, my bad. I didn't think about the continuous load part.

Status
Not open for further replies.