Not Grouping disconnects, using 230-40 exc. #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyEEINC

I have done my research, and spent the time reading forums on this subject. I am having an issue with a local AHJ in Oklahoma. I have provided him the commentary in the NEC handbook, forwarded links to forum and responses by the moderators. He is asking for a letter from the ICC, or from Mike Holt explaining the intent of code that allows a second underground OEM meter tap to feed a detached garage on the same property as a single family dwelling. The installation mirrors the other forums I have read. I am a memeber of the ICC but use it to verify equipment installations, not code interpretation.
The AHJ has been evasive, not wanting to meet me in person, prefering to discuss this by email, which is one sided. Any thoughts on a letter from the ICC or Mike Holt?
I would think the forum with response from moderators would meet his needs.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I have done my research, and spent the time reading forums on this subject. I am having an issue with a local AHJ in Oklahoma. I have provided him the commentary in the NEC handbook, forwarded links to forum and responses by the moderators. He is asking for a letter from the ICC, or from Mike Holt explaining the intent of code that allows a second underground OEM meter tap to feed a detached garage on the same property as a single family dwelling. The installation mirrors the other forums I have read. I am a memeber of the ICC but use it to verify equipment installations, not code interpretation.
The AHJ has been evasive, not wanting to meet me in person, prefering to discuss this by email, which is one sided. Any thoughts on a letter from the ICC or Mike Holt?
I would think the forum with response from moderators would meet his needs.

230.40 Number of Service-Entrance Conductor Sets. Each service drop, set of overhead service conductors, set of underground service conductors, or service lateral shall supply only one set of service-entrance conductors.

Exception No. 3: A single-family dwelling unit and its accessory structures shall be permitted to have one set of service-entrance conductors run to each from a single service drop, set of overhead service conductors, set of underground service conductors, or service lateral.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO Exception(3) is pretty clear if you satisfy all of the provisions of that exception. Although not code I agree with the commentary provided by the authors of the NECH:

Exception No. 3 to 230.40 permits a second set of service-
entrance conductors supplied by a single service drop or lat-
eral at a single-family dwelling unit to also supply another
building on the premises, such as a garage or storage shed.
The utility meters may be grouped at one location but in this
application, the service disconnecting means are not re-
quired to be grouped at one location. A service disconnect-
ing means at the dwelling and at the other building is
acceptable where this exception is used.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
IMO Exception(3) is pretty clear if you satisfy all of the provisions of that exception. Although not code I agree with the commentary provided by the authors of the NECH:

In th OP starts "not grouping disconects" if we travel to
230.72 Grouping of Disconnects.
(A) General. The two to six disconnects as permitted in 230.71 shall be grouped. Each disconnect shall be marked to indicate the load served.

230.71 Maximum Number of Disconnects.
(A) General. The service disconnecting means for each service permitted by 230.2, or for each set of service-entrance conductors permitted by 230.40, Exception No. 1, 3, 4, or 5, shall consist of not more than six switches or sets of circuit breakers, or a combination of not more than six switches and sets of circuit breakers, mounted in a single enclosure, in a group of separate enclosures, or in or on a switchboard. There shall be not more than six sets of disconnects per service grouped in any one location.

230.72(A) appears to contradict

TonyEEINC

Contridiction of 230.72 a

Contridiction of 230.72 a

This is what the AHJ is pushing back to me.
I have yet to get to meet him in person, he wants to do this by email. Very One Sided.
He wants a letter from the ICC stating there position. I think this is not even an option for me?
Thanks for all the response, I am going to visit his office Tues, and hope he will see me.
Tony

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
In th OP starts "not grouping disconects" if we travel to
230.72 Grouping of Disconnects.
(A) General. The two to six disconnects as permitted in 230.71 shall be grouped. Each disconnect shall be marked to indicate the load served.

(A) General. The service disconnecting means for each service permitted by 230.2, or for each set of service-entrance conductors permitted by 230.40, Exception No. 1, 3, 4, or 5, shall consist of not more than six switches or sets of circuit breakers, or a combination of not more than six switches and sets of circuit breakers, mounted in a single enclosure, in a group of separate enclosures, or in or on a switchboard. There shall be not more than six sets of disconnects per service grouped in any one location.

230.72(A) appears to contradict

I don't see any contradiction. If you use the exception, you are permitted to have up to six disconnects at each set of service conductors. So if you have more than one at each/either
location they would have to be grouped. It's not saying the disconnect at one location has to be grouped with the other location.

No way to group them at two different locations, that's what the exception is for.

This installation is very common around here.

hurk27

This is what the AHJ is pushing back to me.
I have yet to get to meet him in person, he wants to do this by email. Very One Sided.
He wants a letter from the ICC stating there position. I think this is not even an option for me?
Thanks for all the response, I am going to visit his office Tues, and hope he will see me.
Tony

The problem many have is most of 230 is addressing one building and or a single location, we can see above in red, that the requirements of grouping disconnects only applies to "one location" so each location is a separate requirement.

Simply it would be impossible to ever use the exception #3 to 230.40 if it did not allow separate disconnects at the house and garage as you would not have service entrance conductors if you put a disconnect at the house.

First the code does not require a disconnect if conductors do not enter a building or structure:

230.70 General. Means shall be provided to disconnect all
conductors in a building or other structure from the service entrance
conductors.

So many do not read the two letter word "IN" that is in the requirements for a disconnect in 230.70

If the SEC's do not enter a building then no disconnect is required for that building, like was said by many you can run SEC's around the building all you want but you do not require a disconnect until the point they enter the building, in the case of 230.40 exception #3 the conductors that run from the meters second set of lugs back into the ground or over head do not enter the building that they are on, so no disconnect is required for these conductors as they do not enter this building.

Grouping of disconnects only apply at each structure, there is no requirement to group a disconnect for the garage at the house when 230.40 exception 3 is used because there is no requirement for a disconnect at the house for the garage when using 230.40 Exception 3.

Exhibit 230.14 on page 158 in the handbook clearly shows one disconnect on building 1 and one disconnect on building 2 that supports that if the service conductors do not enter building 1 then there is no requirement for another disconnect at building 1 for building 2, along with the commentary to 230.40 Exception #3:

Exception No. 3: A single-family dwelling unit and its accessory
structures shall be permitted to have one set of
service-entrance conductors run to each from a single service
drop, set of overhead service conductors, set of underground
service conductors, or service lateral.

Exception No. 3 to 230.40 permits a second set of service entrance
conductors supplied by a single service drop or lateral
at a single-family dwelling unit to also supply another
building on the premises, such as a garage or storage shed.
The utility meters may be grouped at one location but in this
application, the service disconnecting means are not required
to be grouped at one location. A service disconnecting
means at the dwelling and at the other building is
acceptable where this exception is used.

We can see clearly the code allows such an installation and always has.

Do you have a copy of the 2011 handbook? or can you borrow one before you meet with them?

They might even have a copy if you call them and ask, show them these two examples I have posted above and remind them that the hand book is written and edited by the same CMP's who sit on the board that writes the NEC.

Points to ponder:

1 if you put a disconnect at building 1 you no longer have service entrance conductors feeding building 2 as you now have feeders covered in article 225, if the code required a disconnect at building 1 for building 2 then the 230.40 exception 3 would not be allowed as it pertains to service entrance conductors not feeders you could never use it.

2 if we are required to group all disconnects from one service then how would you comply because each separate building requires a disconnect even if you install one at building 1, when you go to install a disconnect at building 2 it would not be grouped with the one at building 1

Have you tried to contact the state to see if they can give you an official interpretation that would over ride the local one?

Does anyone know of any ROP's that might help if this was ever challenged? I know its been allowed for a long time but I can't remember if there were any attempts to change it over the years? an ROP might help in clearing up the intent, I try to do some searches.

TonyEEINC

AHJ Has released my installatiion

AHJ Has released my installatiion

Thanks to all that help to assure me I was correct in my understanding of this code. The Chief Inspector said he was wrong and would release my install as code compliant.

hurk27

Great clarity!

I try to get whats in my mind across, but it some times takes me a few post to do it, I basically stated the same thing I did in the other thread, but when I realized the inspector was hung up on 230.71 I realized he wasn't reading the words "At any one location" so I highlighted it in red to bring it out.

We must realize that rules in 230 mostly applies to single locations or single buildings or other types of structures, 230.40 exception 3 is an exception to these rules that allows more then one location or building.

Thanks to all that help to assure me I was correct in my understanding of this code. The Chief Inspector said he was wrong and would release my install as code compliant.

Great, glad we could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.