Underground generator room

Status
Not open for further replies.

m sleem

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
Occupation
Health
Would NEC permit the Underground generator room (separate building)?
I've seen in supplier's catalogs but our client has some fears and recommends to check NFPA.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
Would NEC permit the Underground generator room (separate building)?
I've seen in supplier's catalogs but our client has some fears and recommends to check NFPA.

IMHO...
Look at 701.12

unless its Optional....

Last edited:

m sleem

Occupation
Health
IMHO...
Look at 701.12

unless its Optional....
The issue is our architect doesn't want to affect the building facade. So the underground solution is the most likely here.
Anyway, I've read twice 701.12...Are you sure it's there?!!:slaphead:

kwired

Electron manager
The fact that it is a separate building means wire it like you would any other separate building.

If there is an issue with it being underground it likely would be with some other code and not the NEC.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
The issue is our architect doesn't want to affect the building facade. So the underground solution is the most likely here.
Anyway, I've read twice 701.12...Are you sure it's there?!!:slaphead:

The NEC doesnt specifically say no... but the 3rd paragraph of 701.12 says "consideration shall be given to the location or design, or both, of all equipment to minimize the hazards that cause complete failure due to floods"

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Flooding concerns can ususally be dealt with by pumps.

In my area, tornado's and high winds would be more of a concern than a flood. i rarely get the chance, but I would usually prefer to put generators below grade for that reason.

m sleem

Occupation
Health
Flooding concerns can ususally be dealt with by pumps.

In my area, tornado's and high winds would be more of a concern than a flood. i rarely get the chance, but I would usually prefer to put generators below grade for that reason.
Yes, but the client has another concerns regarding the emission of SOX and NOX where the exhaust will be in grade level...Is it real issue?:?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Yes, but the client has another concerns regarding the emission of SOX and NOX where the exhaust will be in grade level...Is it real issue?:?

it only runs when the power is out. if it is a big problem run an exhaust pipe up in the air as far as is necessary to alleviate his concerns.

iwire

Staff member
The EPA may well require a stack and diffuser at a certain height.

Typically we have put them in the basements of buildings with the mechanical contractor handing the exhaust out of the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.