480 VAC plugs used for 240 VAC-portable equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitepine1

Greetings,

I recently ran into a portable extruder that was actually 240 VAC three phase and was installed using 100 amp 480 VAC three phase plugs. The female plug was wired into a 240 vac three phase panel.

What NEC rules govern this? This is a dangerous situation because,when this equipment gets moved, it can easily be plugged into 480 VAC as it has a 480 VAC male plug attached to it and it was not "re-marked" 240 VAC..?

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Greetings,

I recently ran into a portable extruder that was actually 240 VAC three phase and was installed using 100 amp 480 VAC three phase plugs. The female plug was wired into a 240 vac three phase panel.

What NEC rules govern this? This is a dangerous situation because,when this equipment gets moved, it can easily be plugged into 480 VAC as it has a 480 VAC male plug attached to it and it was not "re-marked" 240 VAC..?

[h=3]ARTICLE 406
Receptacles, Cord Connectors, and Attachment Plugs (Caps)[/h]406.8 Noninterchangeability. Receptacles, cord connectors, and attachment plugs shall be constructed such that receptacle or cord connectors do not accept an attachment plug with a different voltage or current rating from that for which the device is intended. However, a 20-ampere T-slot receptacle or cord connector shall be permitted to accept a 15-ampere attachment plug of the same voltage rating. Non-grounding-type receptacles and connectors shall not accept grounding-type attachment plugs.

templdl

For my own person woodworking shop in my basement I am using a miss matched twistlock for the 1ph2w w/grd machines.
I got the plugs and receptacles at no cost so the price was right an I'm sure you are aware of the actual cost.
Since I am the home owner I have complete control over the dedicated use of the receptacles and machinery a reasonable person would conclude that neither the machines would be plugged into an incorrect voltage nor will a machine with n incorrect voltage rating would be connected to 240v1ph. Should I sell this home the receptacles would be removed and blank covers installed to prevent a misapplication.
If this were to be a commercial/industrial facility where there is no assurance to prevent a misapplication making it imperative that the NEMA standards for plug and receptacle ratings be strictly adhered to.

Status
Not open for further replies.