New home arc faults driving me crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricblue

Occupation
EC
Whenever I do a new home and fire up the circuits at trim out I always have the arc faults trip and I have to go pull everything apart. I never find anything. It just goes away. Loose wire nuts I don't know. Anybody have this problem? Any advise here? It really sux putting everything in just to take it back out.

Flux

I dread getting in to residential for this reason arc faults but as a new contractor residential is easier to come by.
Have you tried a megger I heard it is a great way to track down a arc fault problem.

ceb58

Easy way is to just have your meter with you when you trim the panel. Ohm out the hot-neutral and neutral - ground before you land them on the breaker. You are probably getting a n-g contact in the box and just opening up the box and looking around is clearing the fault.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Whenever I do a new home and fire up the circuits at trim out I always have the arc faults trip and I have to go pull everything apart. I never find anything. It just goes away. Loose wire nuts I don't know. Anybody have this problem? Any advise here? It really sux putting everything in just to take it back out.

Someone is doing something wrong as we rarely have that issue. As stated earlier the equipment grounding conductor must be touching the neutral somewhere when the device is pushed back into the box. You say NO that's not it but I bet it is...

I have seen where the wire gets a nic in it or a slice when stripping the wire. Often times this can be the problem. Not everyone has these issues so it must be something done on the install.

electricblue

Occupation
EC
I dread getting in to residential for this reason arc faults but as a new contractor residential is easier to come by.
Have you tried a megger I heard it is a great way to track down a arc fault problem.

Some times it makes me want to go work at the grocery store. :rant:

Hoping some resi guy on here might have figured it out.

electricblue

Occupation
EC
Someone is doing something wrong as we rarely have that issue. As stated earlier the equipment grounding conductor must be touching the neutral somewhere when the device is pushed back into the box. You say NO that's not it but I bet it is...

I have seen where the wire gets a nic in it or a slice when stripping the wire. Often times this can be the problem. Not everyone has these issues so it must be something done on the install.

I agree. It is something about my install. I just want this to stop happening. When I began contracting myself, I had to teach myself resi. So all my tricks are mine.

billdozier 78

How do you clear the fault? Do you break at a midpoint on the circuit? I'm willing to bet there's a nick in the wire or ground touching neutral,hot. How do you skin out your NM in the box?

electricblue

Occupation
EC
How do you clear the fault? Do you break at a midpoint on the circuit? I'm willing to bet there's a nick in the wire or ground touching neutral,hot. How do you skin out your NM in the box?

Tha'ts what I'm thinking. Romex in box first. Then come back with razor knife down the middle peel it back cut it off and make up grounds.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I really don't know that for sure. I do look for that first as I pull the outlet out.
As soon a you move it, it would clear the fault. Next time, disconnect the wires at the panel, then check for continuity between the grounded and grounding conductors.

electricblue

Occupation
EC
Yes, I clear the fault by trying to start in the middle. Work one way or the other. Then all of a sudden it goes away. I do look for the bare ground touching the neutral screw.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

Hmmm...$350 for the tester.
Might be worth considering if I had that many calls for AFCI troubleshooting.
But as of now, not that much. I think it helps that my state only requires AFCI protection in bedrooms. Might be a different story if we go to the full NEC requirements, but I hope we don't!

I wonder if there are other mfgs of such a tester?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Hmmm...$350 for the tester.
Might be worth considering if I had that many calls for AFCI troubleshooting.
But as of now, not that much. I think it helps that my state only requires AFCI protection in bedrooms. Might be a different story if we go to the full NEC requirements, but I hope we don't!

I wonder if there are other mfgs of such a tester?

That is the first one I've seen , I'll bet it will save lot's of time,It's only money Uncle Bill..:D

Status
Not open for further replies.