Wire Sizing 90 degree C

Status
Not open for further replies.

etinkham

We have contractors currently installing a UPS. The wire size for the primary input of the UPS is 3 #2/0 + 1 #6 ground in 2" rigid conduit (per drawing). The wire type is XHHW-2. When the UPS arrived it had a 200-amp circuit breaker instead of 175-amp. Do we need to upgrade the wire size to 3/0? The terminations in the UPS are NOT labeled and listed for 90 degrees, therefore I believe the 75 degree C rating on Table 310-16 must be used.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The over-current device ahead of your conductors would be the protection for the conductors. If you protect your 2/0s at 175 amps and they feed the UPS breaker it makes no difference what size that (UPS) breaker is.

etinkham

More info

More info

I need to make clarifications. The UPS breaker is 200-amp. The contractor cannot get a 175 amp breaker for the old switchgear and they are going to install a 200-amp breaker. The wire size is 2/0. The Engineer is claiming the 2/0 wire size is okay based on the current rating on the 90 degree scale on 310-16 for XHHW-2 wire. The terminations in the UPS and the new breaker going in the switchgear are not labeled and identified for 90 degree terminations. I believe the wire size must be based on the 75 degree scale on 310-16 which is 3/0 for 200-amps.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I need to make clarifications. The UPS breaker is 200-amp. The contractor cannot get a 175 amp breaker for the old switchgear and they are going to install a 200-amp breaker. The wire size is 2/0. The Engineer is claiming the 2/0 wire size is okay based on the current rating on the 90 degree scale on 310-16 for XHHW-2 wire. The terminations in the UPS and the new breaker going in the switchgear are not labeled and identified for 90 degree terminations. I believe the wire size must be based on the 75 degree scale on 310-16 which is 3/0 for 200-amps.

I would disagree with the engineer.

Volta

... The terminations in the UPS and the new breaker going in the switchgear are not labeled and identified for 90 degree terminations. I believe the wire size must be based on the 75 degree scale on 310-16 which is 3/0 for 200-amps.

I agree. They cannot upsize the protection under 240.4(B) either as 175 is a standard size.

Status
Not open for further replies.