What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrogrunt

Hi all. I have been working in the electrical field for just over twenty years now, started in my late 20's, and was in good shape for most of it. I started in construction, and now work as a maintenance electrician. My problem is that my body is starting to break down, osteoarthritis, pinched nerves, etc. I don't think I can stay in the working side of this business for more than 5 years tops. I have been looking into the inspection side of our trade, and while things are slow now, they are expected to pick up over the next few years in my area. Does anyone have advice on how to break into the electrical inspection field? Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
One suggestion would be to see what certifications the inspectors in your area are required to have (here it is IAEI certifications) and work toward obtaining those. Having them will give you a step up when job openings do appear.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Take the ICC certifications exams. They are very easy. Sign up with IAEI and come to our local chapter meetings you will get to know and network with inspectors and other non inspector members.

Remember "it is not what you know or even who you know it is all about who knows you". So the more you mingle and network with people related to the electrical trade the more chance you have getting a position other than the physical part of the trade.

Good luck.

jwelectric

I read this and meditated about how it related to my life?s choices. I teach the Standard Electrical Inspector classes that are mandated by NC at our local community college. I have noticed that over the past couple of years I have had many snow topped electricians that would take the class. They also were thinking of changing their field of work.

At the age of 50 I was starting having a lot of pain in my knees and hands. I have suffered from Psoriasis all my life and now have psoriatic arthritis which makes it hard to get down to the level of floor receptacles and near impossible to crawl around under anything. Working on a ladder will cause much pain the next day in the feet and knees.

I choose to go into the education field instead of contracting or inspecting. Being adjunct staff allows me the freedom to do small jobs and to stay active in the NC IAEI.
The pay isn?t all that great and in this economy classes don?t make but it does keep some cash flow. The reward is not the payday but the phone call received after someone has passed their state test. I thank my maker that I have the ability to help someone else that is seeking to continue their career.

Maybe education might be more suitable than inspecting. I didn?t pursue an inspection career due to the political that is involved. I see the oath of office as being between God and myself instead of between some person and myself therefore I would have conflicts with the higher ups.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
All of these are great suggestions. You could also look at doing electrical safety inspections, or working for UL or one of the testing labs or maybe even going into supervision.

Electrogrunt

Thanks for the responses. One of the first things i have done is buy MH's study guide, and will soon join the local IAEI, as well as talk with someone at a local JC that has an inspection program. It will be tough, but not as tough as trying to wrangle 4" ridgid when I am 65. Thanks again.

bullheimer

holy crap i'm in the same damned boat. wrists got no strength, fingers feel swollen, i just got called today that i did NOT get inspector job that hired like 20 for temp statewide jobs that would have been permanent.

last job, locally, went to a guy who had previous inspecting experience.

Home Builders Institute has a website with job listings. I worked for them for six years teaching the electrical program at a local job corps center. they are everywhere. I would rather eat a fresh cow pie than work for them, and that is even if they did NOT work with students who 90% of them could give a flyin f about learning anything you got to tell them. but it might be an option for you, esp if you like juvenile delinquents telling you what to do and basically running your program for you in the most politically correct environment in the united states, even worse than the military.

so i dont know what to do either. i have enough work, right at the moment, that i can't do it myself anyway (first time in years) so i might as well hire someone again, and jump into that nightmare that is employerville. i can still run around attics, but not really spend all day there. and working at ground level for me is the kiss of death. at least i am 57, not 50. i need that other inspector type job for two reasons: they hire old folks, and their retirement. i am bummed i did not get this, as it was statewide and i could have moved the hell out of rain world, usa.:cry:

If you have a broad experience, Consulting is not a bad job. I have been consulting and training for years.
But you had better be ready to answer hard questions if you are consulting, they do not call with the easy ones.

Teaching is very rewarding - in my experience, teaching has been the most rewarding of all that I have done in this industry.

* A note about consulting. Consultants are the last people paid. What I have learned to do is not accept a consulting job unless I get a check the day I meet them on the job. I was told that would never work. I have yet to have a job turned away for that reason. I give them an estimate of the time (I call it a minimum time) and they cut a check for that amount. I have a nice job coming up for 5-eight hour days of consulting coming up in 2 weeks. So it can happen. Jobs are usually 3-5 hours.

It is not easy getting older.
Whatever it is you are able to do, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.