Smoke detection in sprinkled building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcushing

I have a one story office that is fully sprinkled. I can't find the code requirement that states that the building doesn't have to have smoke detectors. Any kind of direction on this would be appreciated, I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

69gp

I have a one story office that is fully sprinkled. I can't find the code requirement that states that the building doesn't have to have smoke detectors. Any kind of direction on this would be appreciated, I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

your going to need one over the fire alarm panel and one over the electrical panel that feeds the fire alarm panel.

peter d

Smoke alarms protect people, sprinkler systems protect property.

Look in the Fire Code of your building codes.
I would contact the Building Official, they are the ones who make the determination.

Agreed, though in Mass. the Fire Marshall will make the final determination on what is required.

Generally speaking, a sprinklered building needs notification (horns/strobes) and water flow indication, as well as manual activation (pull stations). Smoke and heat detectors can be omitted.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Smoke alarms protect people, sprinkler systems protect property. ...
Sprinklers do both. A properly designed fire protection system will limit the size and growth of the fire and provided people protection, but of course there has to be some type of notification to let the people know to get out of the danger area.
From the US Fire Administration.
Fires in residences have taken a high toll of life and property. In 2010 there were:

• 362,100 residential building fires
  • 2,555 civilian fire deaths
  • 13,275 civilian fire injuries
  • $6.6 billion in property damage
Source: U.S. Fire Administration
Studies by the Federal Emergency Management Agency's United States Fire Administration indicate that the installation of home fire sprinkler systems could have saved thousands of lives; prevented a large portion of those injuries; and eliminated hundreds of millions of dollars in property losses.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
your going to need one over the fire alarm panel and one over the electrical panel that feeds the fire alarm panel.

There is no NFPA requirement to have a smoke detector over the electrical panel that feeds the fire alarm panel. This may be a local or state code, but not national.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Agreed, though in Mass. the Fire Marshall will make the final determination on what is required.

Generally speaking, a sprinklered building needs notification (horns/strobes) and water flow indication, as well as manual activation (pull stations). Smoke and heat detectors can be omitted.

This is not really true. First, a sprinklered building may or may not require a fire alarm system at all. This is determined by the occupancy type and occupancy load per either NFPA 101 of the Adopted building code of the jurisdiction. A sprinkler system requires a sprinkler monitoring system per most of the above referenced codes. While a sprinkler monitoring system utilizes the same components as a Fire alarm system they are not the same thing. A sprinkler monitoring system requires (1) pull station, near the monitor panel. (1) smoke detector, over the panel. (1) audible notification device outside the building. And it requires that the system be monitored. Used to be that they could stand independent, but now a days, they basically must call a Central station or other approved monitoring means.

All of this is minimum, but that is what is required by NFPA 101. Usually, Architects and Engineers will require more. Similar to the idea that most of us are against running romex in a commercial building.

peter d

This is not really true. First, a sprinklered building may or may not require a fire alarm system at all. This is determined by the occupancy type and occupancy load per either NFPA 101 of the Adopted building code of the jurisdiction. A sprinkler system requires a sprinkler monitoring system per most of the above referenced codes. While a sprinkler monitoring system utilizes the same components as a Fire alarm system they are not the same thing. A sprinkler monitoring system requires (1) pull station, near the monitor panel. (1) smoke detector, over the panel. (1) audible notification device outside the building. And it requires that the system be monitored. Used to be that they could stand independent, but now a days, they basically must call a Central station or other approved monitoring means.

All of this is minimum, but that is what is required by NFPA 101. Usually, Architects and Engineers will require more. Similar to the idea that most of us are against running romex in a commercial building.

The OP is in Massachusetts and I was addressing my comments to him directly as I'm familiar with the requirements there.

69gp

There is no NFPA requirement to have a smoke detector over the electrical panel that feeds the fire alarm panel. This may be a local or state code, but not national.

Hi

It is state law for a smoke over the panel that feeds a FACP. And I was just answering his question that pertained to smoke detector location for a fully sprinkled building. Guess its due to to much litigation lately, just answer what was asked nothing more nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.