Idiots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

billdozier 78

Why is it that in Florida where they don't require a j man's card it seems like it's idiots running the job? Perfect example,I'm a temp for this company trying to get this particular job done. Working on the bar. Never done one before,but I got common sense. The bar guy/designer laid out receptacles,not on the print. Print called for 3 convenience receptacles,2 blenders,and a dishwasher receptacle. Asked the boss for 3 days what was going on. Couldn't' get a straight answers. Finally asked the bar guy. He had done what I thought,added a few convenience receptacles. Now how flipping hard is it for my boss to conform that for me. Is this typical in other places of this country? Sorry for the Rant!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There's just an above average number in Fl because of the winter migration each year. ;)

Roger

brian john

I worked with a guy that use to say, "The world is full of idiots, matter of fact everyone is an idiot except you and me and sometime I think your'e an idiot."

hurk27

They might not be idoits at all just playing the game of leaving things out of the print that you bid from and then add these receptacles later thinking they can cut their cost and get them for free, I have seen this game played many times but My contract always has a disclaimer that if it wasn't included on the bid spects I bid on then it will be charged as T&M for anything that wasn't in the the job spects at the time of the bid review.

Also I find that many bosses are very removed for what the job is, and thats why they hire us to run a job, we get paid to get the job done and make the boss money.

growler

Why is it that in Florida where they don't require a j man's card it seems like it's idiots running the job. Asked the boss for 3 days what was going on. Couldn't' get a straight answers.

Some people are just not very good at communications or running a job. A journeyman's card doesn't change that. You may find another guy that doesn't have a card that has plenty of experience at running this sort of job and is very good at it.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Hey! some of my best friends are idiots, and I consider all of you my friends.:lol:

I once told a friend of mine that we should just take all of the stupid people out and shoot them. After that whenever any one did anything we thought was stupid, we would just point our finger at them like a gun. One day, after thinking about it, I told my friend, "you know the bad thing about this whole idea, is that you would have to make darn sure that you were on the committee that decided who should be shot."

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Why is it that in Florida where they don't require a j man's card it seems like it's idiots running the job? Perfect example,I'm a temp for this company trying to get this particular job done. Working on the bar. Never done one before,but I got common sense. The bar guy/designer laid out receptacles,not on the print. Print called for 3 convenience receptacles,2 blenders,and a dishwasher receptacle. Asked the boss for 3 days what was going on. Couldn't' get a straight answers. Finally asked the bar guy. He had done what I thought,added a few convenience receptacles. Now how flipping hard is it for my boss to conform that for me. Is this typical in other places of this country? Sorry for the Rant!

The more people there are involved in the process, the more likely there will be mistakes or misinformation by the time you get from the source of information to the final user of said information.

I am doing work for a small church right now, and learned early on to only take advice from the board members responsible for the project. Otherwise every church member that comes in to see how things are progressing has suggestions as to how things should be done. We are ready for drywall now, if I had taken advice from everyone that came in the place, I would still be early in the rough in stage, and would have redone many things over already.

GUNNING

Who is in charge?

Who is in charge?

The bartender is not the one to add an outlet unless he is paying. That is the key. What you say to the boss is I've got a request to add a few more outlets. You need to get over here now and get a change order in writing. You tell the bartender to call your boss. Cut yourself out of the loop and keep on going.
As for the convenience outlet. I did a restaurant and they added a dishwasher, 150 amp dishwasher. You would think it would be on the print. Just an outlet. Behind the bar a convenience outlet is a cooler. You need better guidance.

Yes Florida is a disaster. The local Building Departments are just getting clued in to what deregulation is all about, and the state is deaf and dumb on the situation. (Go Tea Party!) The decision makers have been all riffed out. We have Lex Luther as Governor and our Lt Governor just quit over representing a $300M fraud on US veterans. I tried to call the department of revenue and the receptionist had been RIFFed out. To costly to have someone answer the phone at the department of revenue. Journeyman? That would be too much government interference here.

I live in a land with rose colored glasses.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I have an active (useless) J-man card here and I believe I make around $26 an hour. I run our large comercial work and do calls the shop says "This will require someone with a brain".

Under payed? Ask my wife.

hurk27

"This will require someone with a brain".

Under payed? Ask my wife.

So you have your wife run the jobs and she is under payed:lol:

Jking

When I moved back down there and landed in Fort Myers, the first job I was put on was the two 10 story towers on the north side of the river, right off the old U.S. 41 bridge (because that was all that was there in 1978) Cape Coral was a dead subdivision as the main contractor went belly up, we were running a floor a day on that job, after 6 months I was hired by a company who offered to pay for me to move to Sanford and they rented me a house and provided me with a company car all to take over maintenance management for their Sanford plant, It was called Pinebreeze Farms, it was an automated egg processing plant, they sent me back to school which is where I got my degree's at Mid Florida Tech and University of Florida in Gainesville where I was invited to study lightning as an interest subject, but this was before they used Camp Blanding for rocket triggered strokes, we also worked on theories of Earth connections and did experiments very similar to the one Gary did in the "Time to eat crow" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.