250 amp fuse blowing ( 480V 1800 rpm 150hp motor )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost_RFTech

Maybe the OP should consider a system design change to avoid the frequent starts. This motor is running a pump, pumping what I do not know. Can the system be configured to recirculate whatever is being pumped to divert flow rather than starting and stopping the motor?

Regardless of method, frequent starts on a 150 HP motor is not a good idea.

Besoeker

One of the larger soft starts we installed would only allow so many starts per hour. I believe it was 4 for the motor we had. We may have been able to defeat that parameter, but did not. After 4, the wait time was considerable, more than an hour.
Four starts per hour is something I've encountered a few times. The resistance starter I included a few posts back is usually rated for four starts per hour evenly spaced and two consecutive starts from cold.
Our starters are usually part of a large VSD system which includes a PLC and that takes care of the timing. It can be defeated by powering down the PLC but we don't normally divulge that to the customer/end user. But some are smart enough to work it out for themselves.......:blink:

Haji

Banned
Four starts per hour is something I've encountered a few times. The resistance starter I included a few posts back is usually rated for four starts per hour evenly spaced and two consecutive starts from cold.
Large induction motors are not generally rated by starts per hour, but rather by the number of cold/hot starts.

Haji

Banned
You need to ask the manufacturer of the motor.
Or you need to know
the starting current =I1
the full load current =I2
the acceleration time=t
the design constant=K and
the number of consecutive starts =s for your motor and substitute the same in
SQR[(I1/I2)-1]*t*s=K
Thus for a DOL starting current of 6 times full load current and acceleration time of 4 seconds and allowable starting duty of 2 consecutive starts, the value of K will be
SQR(6-1)*4*2=200.
For soft starter with a starting current of 3 times full load current and acceleration time of 10 seconds and design constant K at 200, the allowable starting duty will be
s=200/[10*SQR(3-1)]=5

Besoeker

Or you need to know
the starting current =I1
the full load current =I2
the acceleration time=t
the design constant=K and
the number of consecutive starts =s for your motor and substitute the same in
SQR[(I1/I2)-1]*t*s=K
Thus for a DOL starting current of 6 times full load current and acceleration time of 4 seconds and allowable starting duty of 2 consecutive starts, the value of K will be
SQR(6-1)*4*2=200.

You might want to re-visit that calculation.

For soft starter with a starting current of 3 times full load current and acceleration time of 10 seconds and design constant K at 200, the allowable starting duty will be
s=200/[10*SQR(3-1)]=5
And hence, this one.

Besoeker

Is it perhaps because you deal with electronic soft starters and not with magnetic ones?
All sorts of starters.

Here's a suite of starters we made earlier.
Some are resistance starters, some electronic soft starts, and a number of direct on line units. They range from a few kW to 1350 kW.

Suite01_zpsb0369623.jpg

Somewhere else you mentioned your age around 105.
Is it true? ( I am a bit worried: I plan to have a lot of discussion with you. ;))
I'll live until I die....:blink:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Including FCMA motor starters? :eek:hmy:

BTW, I took the calculation from this paper

http://turbolab.tamu.edu/proc/pumpproc/P22/05.pdf
Apologies in advance, but I could not help grinning at the following statement in the paper [the following is a brief quotation without specific authorization made under fair use exceptions as part of a critical review of the referenced document]:

Moreover, sudden uncontrolled acceleration of the pump from standstill may create large reverse thrusts on the mechanical and civil foundations as well as jerks on the drive elements.
Where I work, the jerks are more likely to be at the controls than on the drive elements. :)

Haji

Banned
It is usually forum etiquette here, and elsewhere, to cite the site that you are quoting from.
Otherwise it looks as you are passing off their work as yours.

It is usually forum etiquette here, and elsewhere, to base statements on sources believed to be reliable . But it is impractical to quote the source every time. Since you said you did not see the calculation, I refereed you to the source subsequently.

Haji

Banned
If you were able to do so in post #54, you presumably could have done so in post #48.

Yes. You are correct. I could have done that.

I now realize my ulterior motive was to spark discussion about the validity of the calculation in post#48, since the derivation of the equation was not given in that paper.

Besoeker

Yes. You are correct. I could have done that.

I now realize my ulterior motive was to spark discussion about the validity of the calculation in post#48, since the derivation of the equation was not given in that paper.
i2t is a common way of dealing with thermal calculations. It's routinely used for determining the fuses required to protect power semiconductors.

I'm a bit surprised that the paper doesn't use real motor curves. Maybe that tells you something about its provenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.