buck boost xfmr

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I am trying to figure out what size b/b xfmr I need for a piece of equipment. The xfmr that the dental supply Co. sells specifically for the compressor in question is listed at .25kw, when I input the load value into my SqD calculator it is coming up as a 2.75KW as the required size needed. The values I am working with are 7.0 amps full load at 208-230V single phase(equipment nameplate).I am looking to decrease the 240V supply that is currently at the facility where it is to be installed.Manufacturer will not honor the warranty if the operating voltage does not fall within the 208-230 range. Any help appreciated.

broadgage

In the case of buck/boost transformers, the rating stated is sometimes that of the transformer itself, or sometimes is the size of the load that can be supplied.

Consider as an example a transformer with a 10 amp 32 volt output. That is clearly a 320 watt transformer if used to supply a 32 volt load.

Now consider the same transformer, but wired so as to boost a 208 volt supply to 240 volts. The available output is 10 amps at 240 volts, or 2,400 watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.