question for electrical inspectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

69gp

Hi,
just a question for electrical inspectors. Working on a project that has roughly 13,000 solar panels 3 MEG. Of that only about 300 of the panels have UL labels that were installed in the field. And I do not think that a UL rep was there overseeing the labels being applied. What would your opinion be here?

Next we are doing all the 13,800 line work and fiber optic for this project. If we energize the system knowing that the panels are not UL labeled but that the service meets code what exposure do we have? My master's license is on the line here.

This project spans 2 towns with 2 different inspectors. How do I approach them to voice my concerns? its a political hot potato in the area right now so I need to tread carefully.

steve

I would speak with the inspector of record. You need to know who would be responsible for paying for the field evaluation if it is needed. The responsibility my be yours. The label/identification of the arrays may be part of the labeling for the assembly??

I am curious, where did these arrays come from?

shortcircuit2

690.4(D) requires the modules to be listed. There is no gray area to this requirement. The licensee of record will be responsible for the installation...forever. I wouldn't put my license on the line for this.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hi,
just a question for electrical inspectors. Working on a project that has roughly 13,000 solar panels 3 MEG. Of that only about 300 of the panels have UL labels that were installed in the field. And I do not think that a UL rep was there overseeing the labels being applied. What would your opinion be here?

Next we are doing all the 13,800 line work and fiber optic for this project. If we energize the system knowing that the panels are not UL labeled but that the service meets code what exposure do we have? My master's license is on the line here.

This project spans 2 towns with 2 different inspectors. How do I approach them to voice my concerns? its a political hot potato in the area right now so I need to tread carefully.

steve

I would not get real excited about it unless you were the one that installed them that way.

You have no responsibility for what is outside of your scope of work, and it is usually best not to meddle in such things, even if your intentions are good.

In any case, it appears the listing requirement did not come about until the 2008 code. What code are you under?

Last edited:

69gp

I would not get real excited about it unless you were the one that installed them that way.

You have no responsibility for what is outside of your scope of work, and it is usually best not to meddle in such things, even if your intentions are good.

In any case, it appears the listing requirement did not come about until the 2008 code. What code are you under?

They come under the 2011 as they were just installed last December.

69gp

I would speak with the inspector of record. You need to know who would be responsible for paying for the field evaluation if it is needed. The responsibility my be yours.

I am curious, where did these arrays come from?

One guess and I will give you a hint. Not in North or South America nor Australia nor in Europe it's not Japan or South Korea not in India or Africa. Starts with a C and ends with a A.

69gp

they only come under the 2011 code if it has been adopted there. your profile says code cycle 5 (presumably meaning 2005).

Hi,

We use the 2011 in MA and I have code book update version 5. During the course of its cycle the code book can be updated.

mgookin

Hi,

steve

It sounds like you are saying that 300 out of 13,000 panels have UL labels and that those 300 labels were field installed? Am I reading this correctly? Who installed the panels and who is doing field labeling? Are all these panels the same or do you have 300 of one kind and 12,700 of another kind?

Are they required under contract to provide UL Listed product?

I agree with previous respondent about what code applies. If there's an electric permit then usually the code that applies is the code in effect in that jurisdiction on date of application for the permit.

And if the work is for an electric utility, it may be exempt from code requirements depending on where you are. Sounds like a big project.

Are you the prime contractor? That has bearing on your exposure. If you are not prime contractor, I suggest taking your concerns to the prime contractor and creating some sort of record of that communication for your defense.

69gp

It sounds like you are saying that 300 out of 13,000 panels have UL labels and that those 300 labels were field installed? Am I reading this correctly? YES Who installed the panels and who is doing field labeling? Another contractor installed the panels and we are unsure of who was applying the labels other then it was someone working for the GC. Are all these panels the same or do you have 300 of one kind and 12,700 of another kind? All the panels are the same.

Are they required under contract to provide UL Listed product? NEC requires them to be UL listed.

I agree with previous respondent about what code applies. If there's an electric permit then usually the code that applies is the code in effect in that jurisdiction on date of application for the permit. There are several permits pulled for various phases of work on this project. The site covers 2 towns so all permits would be times 2. Our permit covers 2 medium voltage services for and fiber optic for SEL relays.
And if the work is for an electric utility, it may be exempt from code requirements depending on where you are. Sounds like a big project. This is a private project and not utility.

Are you the prime contractor? NO we are a Sub. That has bearing on your exposure. If you are not prime contractor, I suggest taking your concerns to the prime contractor and creating some sort of record of that communication for your defense.
The issue was brought to just about everyone you can think of in the State. I just found out recently that UL inspectors had confiscated aprox 25,000 UL labels for these panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.