MCC Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an MCC in an open shop installed in 1968 we have activity going on around it we are clearing it out for safe access, as far as purging with air to put a positive pressure on the unit is there any requirement for this to be done when in open. I do not see any in code. An do we need to put some kind of eclosure around this MCC

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have an MCC in an open shop installed in 1968 we have activity going on around it we are clearing it out for safe access, as far as purging with air to put a positive pressure on the unit is there any requirement for this to be done when in open. I do not see any in code. An do we need to put some kind of eclosure around this MCC
It needs to be evaluated and labeled per the NFPA 70E 2012 for its Arc Flash potential so that you can determine the Limited Approach Boundary and restrict access accordingly, then provide the proper PPE and regular training for those that do need access to it.

If none of this means anything to you, hire a contractor that understands these issues (I'm assuming from the nature of your question that you are not an electrical contractor).

Status
Not open for further replies.