Italian fixture. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

I have this repeat customer who buys these fixtures online from Italy. Fabbian is the name. I don't know what kind of boxes they use over there, but most of these I've had to drill my own holes in the mounting bracket to line up. Now I've got 4 ceiling lights with one G8 bi-pin bulb each, and can't get any to work. I found out if you touch the lamp loose on a slight angle you can get it to light, but if you seat it all the way, nothing. Tried 3 brands of lamps so far. Now I have to call her and try to explain the problem. Only good thing is when I started with her and saw the nature of the work she wanted done I told her T&M. (like these lights here are replacing recess lights, 2nd floor. Had to pull plywood in the attic, remove recess, mount boxes and rough sheet rock patch. Took all day to do two and ready the others.) Just thought I'd post this if any one has a thought or had this problem. I'll probably end up and the lamp shop to see if they can do something.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I have this repeat customer who buys these fixtures online from Italy. Fabbian is the name. I don't know what kind of boxes they use over there, but most of these I've had to drill my own holes in the mounting bracket to line up. Now I've got 4 ceiling lights with one G8 bi-pin bulb each, and can't get any to work. I found out if you touch the lamp loose on a slight angle you can get it to light, but if you seat it all the way, nothing. Tried 3 brands of lamps so far. Now I have to call her and try to explain the problem. Only good thing is when I started with her and saw the nature of the work she wanted done I told her T&M. (like these lights here are replacing recess lights, 2nd floor. Had to pull plywood in the attic, remove recess, mount boxes and rough sheet rock patch. Took all day to do two and ready the others.) Just thought I'd post this if any one has a thought or had this problem. I'll probably end up and the lamp shop to see if they can do something.

there's a little island in italy where they hand blow glass, and put it onto cheeze whiz fixtures
to sell to affluent americans.... they give you a ride out to the island, and i suspect that if
you don't spend enough money, they make you swim back....

the wall sconces have mounting brackets that are *metric*, and it sounds like your stuff is
similar... the ones i had to hang on a wall on naples island, the base won't cover a 3-0 ring.

forget carlon cut in boxes... the blue ones... i ended up finding some weird cut in round boxes at hanks electric
supply in costa mesa, they had half a dozen of these round bakelite boxes under a thick layer of dust in back.

of course, where she wanted one of the lights mounted was over a pocket door.......
by the time i was done, the bill was about $700 if memory serves... she was shocked
at how expensive it was.....

the pair of hand blown fixtures were over $5,000.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Now I've got 4 ceiling lights with one G8 bi-pin bulb each, and can't get any to work. I found out if you touch the lamp loose on a slight angle you can get it to light, but if you seat it all the way, nothing. Tried 3 brands of lamps so far.

If the fixture really is designed for G8 bi-pin and you have tried several types of bulbs, then either there is a problem with all of the sockets or it is actually designed for a different type of bulb (diameter of pins, round versus hairpin, or whatever). Possibly different standard bulbs are available in EU?

I would take a similar diameter wire and probe into the de-energized socket with wire attached to ohmmeter and see what it takes to get connectivity.

Having it light when you seat it partially and tilted implies that the spring contacts are too far off the pin center to be touched by a straight pin. If the hole in the socket will accept larger diameter pins you may be using the wrong bulbs. Or something may have happened during manufacturing that bent the contact springs.

All in all, letting the lamp shop sort it out sounds like the best course. :)

PetrosA

If they get mounted on a box in Europe (a plastered masonry wall wouldn't necessarily get a box - non-combustable) it would be a 6cm round box, so about 2.25".

Is the G8 base definitely the right size? It seems unlikely that all four sockets would be bad, and that all four would work by cocking the bulb at the same angle, but who knows...?

GerryB

If they get mounted on a box in Europe (a plastered masonry wall wouldn't necessarily get a box - non-combustable) it would be a 6cm round box, so about 2.25".

Is the G8 base definitely the right size? It seems unlikely that all four sockets would be bad, and that all four would work by cocking the bulb at the same angle, but who knows...?

I have had trouble covering the boxes like Fulthrotl and you have said. The sockets are ok though. There is a place up here in CT. called Bulbs Only. Went there this morning and tried different G8's with the old timer in there. Same thing, not working. I said seems like one of these lamps with the pins that bend around the sides might work. He says "yeah, those are low voltage. He says maybe it's a G6." (all it said was 60 watt, t4 bi pin) So he's going to get the G6 and I said "you know I didn't see any G8's in 60 watt, only 35w, 50w, 75w and 100." Then he comes back with a G9 60 watt. BINGO. The G9 has flat blades instead of pins. So $10 per lamp and an hour travel time, but she's good for it, actually laughed when I told her the problem I was having. Thanks for your input. Now I have to check depot next time I'm in there to see if they carry the G9.

Status
Not open for further replies.