EATON PANEL PROBLEMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
No I have not. The buss on these residential panels are made of two continuous piece of metal, one for each phase, so I cant imagine what the problem could be other than some non conductive material on the buss or a bad weld if the stabs are welded.

Could be a CH panel, the BR's are as you say, a stamped buss, but the CH buss is different, but I still can't see how they would have random connection.

kwired

Electron manager
When I said stab 1, 7, ect. ect. I meant the entire stab, so stab 1 is for ckts 1 & 2, stab 7 is for ckts 7 & 8 ect. I tried switching a known good breaker to stabs w/o power but to no aval.

Are you measuring voltage at the bus stabs or at the output lug of the breakers in said positions?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Are you measuring voltage at the bus stabs or at the output lug of the breakers in said positions?

If you're getting at the breakers might be bad, he did say this...

When I said stab 1, 7, ect. ect. I meant the entire stab, so stab 1 is for ckts 1 & 2, stab 7 is for ckts 7 & 8 ect. I tried switching a known good breaker to stabs w/o power but to no aval.

kwired

Electron manager
If you're getting at the breakers might be bad, he did say this...

not necessarily saying the breakers are bad, just want to know if he is measuring the bus or the breaker output. Maybe there is a clear coating (like motor winding varnish) for some reason on the bus and the breakers do not make when plugged on?

Shea, if measuring directly at bus does it matter if you poke or scrape the test leads against the bus so they break through any coating if present?

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
Could this install be located in a commercial location rezoned residential? I am thinking corner grounded Delta...

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
not necessarily saying the breakers are bad, just want to know if he is measuring the bus or the breaker output. Maybe there is a clear coating (like motor winding varnish) for some reason on the bus and the breakers do not make when plugged on?

Shea, if measuring directly at bus does it matter if you poke or scrape the test leads against the bus so they break through any coating if present?

He also said this:

I thought that too and took a wire brush to the non working stabs, still no dice.

kwired

Electron manager
Could this install be located in a commercial location rezoned residential? I am thinking corner grounded Delta...

Still doesn't add up to the spaces mentioned that(apparently) don't work. In a single phase panel it should be every other space, in a three phase panel it should be every third space, his mentioned spaces that are not working don't fit either situation.

OP can verify this grounded phase question by measuring both line to (neutral, which there is none in a grounded phase system) and line to line.

Line to line getting 250v, line to neutral getting 124v. I have taken working breakers from panel and put in stabs where was not working and still nothing. It is in a residential location, Breezy Point to be exact, this area was crushed from the storm. I don't see how the grounding can have anything to do with this problem but the main breaker disconnect is grounded via 2 grounding rods. I will be back there tom or Wed to change out the guts and will post a picture and get to the bottom of this and will let everyone know what the deal is. Thank you everyone for your input.

Ok so I changed the guts and everything works as it should. I am not going to post a pic since it will not show anything but here are the correct ckts that were out : 1,7,13,19,25 & 31. So obviously there is some defect in the guts. I want to thank everyone for thier input to this problem.

wirebender

Ok so I changed the guts and everything works as it should. I am not going to post a pic since it will not show anything but here are the correct ckts that were out : 1,7,13,19,25 & 31. So obviously there is some defect in the guts. I want to thank everyone for thier input to this problem.

every third circuit out, still looks like a 3 phase panel with only 2 phases attached.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It is a residential single phase panel. I am a Union Electrician, I know the difference between single and three phase panel.
Did not intend to imply incompetance :happysad:

Perhaps coincidence, but seems quite odd though being every third stab was defective... :happyyes:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Sounds like a 3 phase buss. I don't see how you would not notice that one leg was not connected.

SG-1

Several years ago I can remember seeing all sorts of screw-ups with this brand of industrial panels. A DC panel with 3 bus bars, a 3-phase panel with two bus bars, a single phase panel with 3 bus bars... You never new what you would get next. That was several years ago. No issues recently.

kwired

Electron manager
Do they even make three phase panels in the BR series? I haven't seen one, but they (BR series) are not all that popular around here besides in mobile and manufactured homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.