Horse barn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a customer that build a horse barn and is located at his residence. Is a horse barn considered a dwelling. Reason is for sizing feeders off table 310.15 or use table 310.16.

Lol. Yeah I agree it's just weird because upstairs is a place for company parties with apartment and bottom is the horse barn. But was just seeing what other electricians thoughts were.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have a customer that build a horse barn and is located at his residence. Is a horse barn considered a dwelling. Reason is for sizing feeders off table 310.15 or use table 310.16.

If it's a feeder then it would need to supply the entire service load or you cannot use 310.15.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I've not seen anyone accept anything other than 310.16 ratings.
Locally there's always a bit of a problem as to how they are wired. Few inspectors enforce all of Art 547 (such as bond grid), but often require Art 547 wiring methods. It might warrant a phone call to your inspector.

shortcircuit2

You better use table 310.15(B)(16) 2011 NEC for the service. A horse barn is not a dwelling. A horse is a horse, of course, of course...follow the wiring methods in article 547.5 for the livestock and dusty areas of the barn.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You better use table 310.15(B)(16) 2011 NEC for the service. A horse barn is not a dwelling. A horse is a horse, of course, of course...follow the wiring methods in article 547.5 for the livestock and dusty areas of the barn.
But there is an apartment upstairs, so you could argue that it is a dwelling with horses downstairs. Just like an attached garage only old fashioned. The AHJ may not buy that though, so why take chances. :)

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

It's a brand new service with its own meter.

Not that it will change anything regarding 310.15 or 310.16, but if the barn has it's own service, the conductors are service conductors, not feeders.

wirebender

Dwelling Unit. A single unit, providing complete and independent
living facilities for one or more persons, including
permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation.

If it fits this definition then yes.

kwired

Electron manager
But there is an apartment upstairs, so you could argue that it is a dwelling with horses downstairs. Just like an attached garage only old fashioned. The AHJ may not buy that though, so why take chances. :)

Dwelling Unit. A single unit, providing complete and independent
living facilities for one or more persons, including
permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation.

If it fits this definition then yes.

The entire structure is not a dwelling so you can't use 310.15(B)(7) for the service conductors.

If there is a dwelling unit within the structure, any feeder supplying that entire dwelling unit load, and only the entire dwelling unit load, can be sized with 310.15(B)(7).

Status
Not open for further replies.