Circuit breaker code

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryn

I have a X-proof circuit breaker panel on a fuel filing jetty. The breaker are switched on and off from a handle on the from panel. I have no way to know if a breaker has tripped other than seeing the load device is off. Is there a code that allows me the have the contractor provide some type of indication?

Cheers,

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
No easy answer really, but it's not really a "code" issue.

You could have them demonstrate it (in a safe environment) and see if you can tell from the ouside if the handle is in the center potition. If not, you could insist on having aux. contacts added to each breaker, then adding XP pilot lights on the enclosure door to indicate tripped, or just wire a pilot light to the output of each breaker to indicate that it is On, and if it's not on, but the handle is not Off, it must be tripped.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I hate to even attempt a follow-up post to Jraef as I find his knowledge far exceeds mine. I agree with all he says but do see a possible problem in "adding a XP pilot light to the door of the enclosure". Unless the enclosure is designed for such an adder, I would be hesitant to make any alteration to a listed XP enclosure.

(Jrafe, please pardon me if that comment is out of line)

sgunsel

The enclosure manufacturer will have specs for drilling and installing additional devices without voiding the listing, including minimum spacing. Of course there must be sufficient room - which is not always the case.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I hate to even attempt a follow-up post to Jraef as I find his knowledge far exceeds mine. I agree with all he says but do see a possible problem in "adding a XP pilot light to the door of the enclosure". Unless the enclosure is designed for such an adder, I would be hesitant to make any alteration to a listed XP enclosure.

(Jrafe, please pardon me if that comment is out of line)
Not out of line at all, in fact I missed that thought process. If it is like the old Crouse Hinds XP panelboards I used to use with multiple paddle levers on the front that operate the breaker handles, I now think its a very valid concern. There is not likely much additional room on the front to add pilot lights as sgunsel mentioned.

You could nipple over to an adjacent box holding the pilot lights though.

No easy answer really, but it's not really a "code" issue.

You could have them demonstrate it (in a safe environment) and see if you can tell from the ouside if the handle is in the center potition. If not, you could insist on having aux. contacts added to each breaker, then adding XP pilot lights on the enclosure door to indicate tripped, or just wire a pilot light to the output of each breaker to indicate that it is On, and if it's not on, but the handle is not Off, it must be tripped.

....or the light burned out. Unless you employ something like the dual LED safety light that EATON uses in MCC starters to confirm that all three phases of the disconnecting device has opened.

As far as drilling the enclosure, in a C-H there would be no provision on the front, adjacent to the breaker handles, but on the sides are designated conduit drilling pattern/size/dimensioned that can be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.