Multiple job offers

Status
Not open for further replies.

billdozier 78

Hey guys been looking for work fir a minute. On Thursday I had an interview and job offer,I took it. Today another company called,I was up front with them but they still wanted me. The second job offers more money,is my type of work,includes travel which I like. Is it wrong to take the 2nd job over the first one? The first one has paid for a drug test and background check. Should I offer to cover their lost cost or is this just life?

__dan

Banned
A job is a major fork in the road for both you and the employer. It is better to get the best fit over the medium to long term. Next best to to have a place to hide until something better comes along. If you have not started, there is no loss for you or the employer, so consider the other offer. The caveat is it may be impossible to predict which job will actually be better for you over the long term, in the future looking back at this decision point and if you feel it was good/bad. Both contractors? or contractor vs utility or large corporation?

I would advise to not consider the short term over the last week and consider where you want to be five or ten years from now, and which path will get you there. The employer you decline should be very understanding of this and appreciate you are considering the long term. I don't know what I reason would give, if any. If you had accepted the first offer, I would not mention money. Better training, experience, long term work commitment, both employers should feel they have to compete for your time and may have some ability to sweeten the working conditions.

I would not for a second consider covering their background check expense, uniforms. I would feel I would be on target and earning the pay on the first week, first day, first hour.

And congratulations!

grasfulls

what do

what do

Hey guys been looking for work fir a minute. On Thursday I had an interview and job offer,I took it. Today another company called,I was up front with them but they still wanted me. The second job offers more money,is my type of work,includes travel which I like. Is it wrong to take the 2nd job over the first one? The first one has paid for a drug test and background check. Should I offer to cover their lost cost or is this just life?

What would they do if someone came along they liked a LOT better? How honorable do you wish yourself to be viewed as?

TonyEEINC

Happened to me before.

Happened to me before.

I have had this happen too me before, the main thing is let them know as soon as posible, staffing is a big problem with shops.
You are either staffing up for a big job, or just filling a hole? either way you want to pick the best guy you interview into the system.
I rarely offer a job until I have interviewed everyone, unless have mulitple openings, I then will call the men I dont hire and let them know.
So if you are taking another position, likely there is a second man on the list he needs to call before he too finds other employment.
As for drug test, with me I pay for them when they show at the Dr. office, it is not prepaid, if you took uniforms (I dont give out for a week or two)
Back ground checks I pay a service for a year, so not an extra expense. I also will never hold my employees back from improving them selfs.
But if it is just $ you chase there will always be someone wagging a quarter in front of you. There is more to the job than the hourly wage.
Being happy in what you do, and were you are will make your life off the job much better as well.
Good Luck, maybe in a few yrs, with luck you will get to see the other side of the employee, employer relationship. It tends to open eyes......

Status
Not open for further replies.