Conductor in parallel

Status
Not open for further replies.

m sleem

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
Occupation
Health
I have to connect 4 single conductors, 400 Vac, 50 Hz, of 300 mm2 per phase in parallel across 120 m length to deliver power to hospital. For 3 phases, neutral, and grounding; total single conductors will be 20 (all of same size 300 mm2). The raceway for these conductors is ventilated trough cable tray of 500 mm width.
What is the best wiring method to reduce the effect of magnetic and voltage field?

I arrange conductors in parallel as shown in the attached picture. Is it right?
If you follow NEC the grounding conductor has to be sized as table 250.122 max 1x400mm2 equivalent to 6000AMP.

But, asper NEC there is no EGC FROM TRnsformer to MSP..Who will correct me?!!

Smart $

Esteemed Member
very good illustration. i have one more question; what about spaces between groups?
That will depend on the ampacity required. Not knowing the load or the OCPD rating, all I can tell you is to see 392.80(A)(2). Derating (adjustment factors) vary with spacing and layering.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If you follow NEC the grounding conductor has to be sized as table 250.122 max 1x400mm2 equivalent to 6000AMP.

But, asper NEC there is no EGC FROM TRnsformer to MSP..Who will correct me?!!
Have no idea where you got 1x400mm?, or 6000A???

Anyway, sizing and whether required depends on whether they are service conductors or feeder conductors. Regardless, metal tray is required to be bonded.

Perhaps the OP'er should clarify service or feeder...

m sleem

Occupation
Health

Anyway, sizing and whether required depends on whether they are service conductors or feeder conductors. Regardless, metal tray is required to be bonded.

In table 250.122

Max overcurrent 6000AMP vs 800AWG(COPPER)=400mm2.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
In table 250.122

Max overcurrent 6000AMP vs 800AWG(COPPER)=400mm2.
Yes, that's the max size in Table 250.122... but 4 sets of 300mm? will not have 6000A fusing or breaker. More likely 1600A or less, so looking at maybe a 125mm? copper EGC... if a feeder.

m sleem

Occupation
Health
Yes, that's the max size in Table 250.122... but 4 sets of 300mm? will not have 6000A fusing or breaker. More likely 1600A or less, so looking at maybe a 125mm? copper EGC... if a feeder.
Absolutely right, i just wanted to show the max EGC that we could use is 400mm2 as 250.122 not 4x300mm2 as the OP says.

m sleem

Occupation
Health

Initially i thought that service conductor is the one coming from building outside up to service conductor or the separately derived system located inside.
But now after refer to feeder definition, i just wondering what would be difference SC VS F when the separately derived system is located outside.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Initially i thought that service conductor is the one coming from building outside up to service conductor or the separately derived system located inside.
But now after refer to feeder definition, i just wondering what would be difference SC VS F when the separately derived system is located outside.
Aside from nuances associated with terminology and separate requirements, the essential difference is grounding.

If a feeder, it requires a grounding conductor, bonding of non-current-carrying metal parts to the grounding conductor, and bonding of the grounded conductor to the grounding conductor/system can be at or anywhere in between the source or the [first] disconnecting means... but must be the same location where the building's grounding electrode system is connected.

If a service, the same grounding of non-current-carrying metal parts is done with the grounded conductor (or bonding jumpers thereto), and bonding of the grounded conductor to the grounding system must be at the disconnecting means.

What this means for the OP is that a grounding conductor is not required to be run if these are service conductors.

Last edited:

m sleem

Occupation
Health
If a feeder, it requires a grounding conductor, bonding of non-current-carrying metal parts to the grounding conductor, and bonding of the grounded conductor to the grounding conductor/system can be at or anywhere in between the source or the [first] disconnecting means... but must be the same location where the building's grounding electrode system is connected.
I think That would meet the exception of 250.32(a)..

If a service, the same grounding of non-current-carrying metal parts is done with the grounded conductor (or bonding jumpers thereto), and bonding of the grounded conductor to the grounding system must be at the disconnecting means.
& That would meet 250.32(a)..

both of them say feeder & branch circuit, so from your opinion the service conductor could be a single circuit as the exception of 250.32(a) says.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I think That would meet the exception of 250.32(a)..

& That would meet 250.32(a)..

both of them say feeder & branch circuit, so from your opinion the service conductor could be a single circuit as the exception of 250.32(a) says.
250.32(A) is regarding "Grounding Electrode" for "Buildings or Structures Supplied by a Feeder(s) or Branch Circuit(s)." I am perplexed by your bringing grounding electrode(s) into the discussion. I thought we were only discussing required, or not, grounding conductors for the OP situation. That said, 250.32(A) does not apply to service conductors, and the exception does not apply to a feeder supplying a building.

m sleem

Occupation
Health
250.32(A) is regarding "Grounding Electrode" for "Buildings or Structures Supplied by a Feeder(s) or Branch Circuit(s)." I am perplexed by your bringing grounding electrode(s) into the discussion. I thought we were only discussing required, or not, grounding conductors for the OP situation. That said, 250.32(A) does not apply to service conductors, and the exception does not apply to a feeder supplying a building.
If the OP grounding conductor is the EGC wo would meet the exception....!!!!!

m sleem

Occupation
Health
I'm confused!!!

Are you sure you mean 250.32(A) Exception??? ...cause that only applies to a branch circuit.
I know it is not the real & may be it is not applicable, but just assume there is a chiller rating greater than 2000a where meets 225.30(c) or fire pump where meets 225.30(a)(1).

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I know it is not the real & may be it is not applicable, but just assume there is a chiller rating greater than 2000a where meets 225.30(c) or fire pump where meets 225.30(a)(1).
Okay... I'll assume. What does 250.32(A) Exception have to do with the EGC?

Status
Not open for further replies.