Grounded conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

I have a question. How many of you guys use a bare grounded conductor from the meter to the panel in the home when doing a service change? Atricle 230.41 Ex. Says it ok what's your say.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
On occasion I have had E/Cs from an adjoining State (AL) in this area who have advised it was SOP in their home area.
Perhaps masterinbama can shed some light.

masterinbama

On occasion I have had E/Cs from an adjoining State (AL) in this area who have advised it was SOP in their home area.
Perhaps masterinbama can shed some light.

Certain rural areas surrounding Huntsville and Madison county require that the grounded conductor in the mast be continuous from the weatherhead, through the lug in the meter pan and then to the grounding electrode (whatever method you use (Sized for the load)

They will also allow a bare neutral from the meter to the panel on back to backs only in most of the jurisdictions surrounding my area.

kwired

Electron manager
Certain rural areas surrounding Huntsville and Madison county require that the grounded conductor in the mast be continuous from the weatherhead, through the lug in the meter pan and then to the grounding electrode (whatever method you use (Sized for the load)

They will also allow a bare neutral from the meter to the panel on back to backs only in most of the jurisdictions surrounding my area.

Any idea why they have these rules?

What happens if you have a underground service - especially if aluminum conductors?

How do you connect the neutral conductor from the meter to the service disconnecting means if you have a continuous conductor from service drop to the grounding electrode? A typical 125 or 200 amp meter socket only has two neutral lugs that are full sized and a smaller one for GEC.

masterinbama

Any idea why they have these rules?

What happens if you have a underground service - especially if aluminum conductors?

How do you connect the neutral conductor from the meter to the service disconnecting means if you have a continuous conductor from service drop to the grounding electrode? A typical 125 or 200 amp meter socket only has two neutral lugs that are full sized and a smaller one for GEC.

You pass through one of them and use the other for your conductor to the panel.

When you throw an underground at most of them they get lost.

kwired

Electron manager
You pass through one of them and use the other for your conductor to the panel.

When you throw an underground at most of them they get lost.

So if my incoming service neutral is 2/0 aluminum I would have to pass it through the meter socket and to a grounding electrode. Very likely creating other code violations if the electrode is a ground rod with the use of aluminum within 18 inches of grade for a GEC, let alone finding a ground rod clamp designed for aluminum conductors. On top of that I used all the larger neutral lugs in the meter socket and have no lug left over that is large enough to connect another 2/0 to go to the service disconnect.:?

Status
Not open for further replies.