VENDOR DRAWING

Status
Not open for further replies.

kody916

Greetings Everyone
well i am new member to this forum.i am an Electrical Engineer by profession. I have graduated 2 yrs ago.
well i got to work on a project where there was very less scope for core electrical work.it was an ASBUILT SYSYTEM where our job was just to update the whole 1 line diagram of tht plant.
well i want to be proactive. i dont want to learn only when the project gives me the opportunity to do so.i want to learn things of my own.some of my questions may seem dumb but please bear with me..
having worked for almost 2 yrs i came across a number of things.stuff tht was never part of the project but
u just seem to hear tht when 2 knowledgeable persons talk abt it...
well the first question tht i have is below..

What is a VENDOR DRAWING.what part does it play in the design engineering.who issues the vendor drawing..

thanks

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
A vendor drawing could be something like a CT scan, MRI, Pet scan, etc... manufacturers drawing that would be incorporated into the designers/EE overall plans and specs.
The vendors drawing would take precedence over the building design documents.

Roger

Besoeker

Greetings Everyone
well i am new member to this forum.i am an Electrical Engineer by profession. I have graduated 2 yrs ago.
well i got to work on a project where there was very less scope for core electrical work.it was an ASBUILT SYSYTEM where our job was just to update the whole 1 line diagram of tht plant.
well i want to be proactive. i dont want to learn only when the project gives me the opportunity to do so.i want to learn things of my own.some of my questions may seem dumb but please bear with me..
having worked for almost 2 yrs i came across a number of things.stuff tht was never part of the project but
u just seem to hear tht when 2 knowledgeable persons talk abt it...
well the first question tht i have is below..

What is a VENDOR DRAWING.what part does it play in the design engineering.who issues the vendor drawing..

thanks
I'm from UK but we manufacture and supply equipment, mainly variable speed drive systems, that end up in process plants in a number of countries.
We are the vendors (sellers) of the equipment.
As part of the project, we are issued with a list of all the documents that we must provide.
This includes the vendor drawings (ours) that we generate and submit for to the customer for approval. These often go through several revisions before approval for the build phase. There may be further revisions during the build stage.

Once the equipment is built, tested and approved for shipping, as built drawings have to be provided to the customer. It is not altogether unusual for further equipment revisions to be made during the installation and commissioning phases of the project and that requires further drawing revisions.

Most professional companies will have a tracking system that keeps a record of the drawings and the updates from rev00 to rev xx.

I don't know if this helps or hinders.

And, if you are having to do a single line diagram, try to make sure that you have the latest drawing revisions.

kody916

Thanks a lot guys.i really appreciate ur help..
Just one question regarding the same topic.

suppose one is working on a project where a new MCC has to be installed.
lets say all the calculations have been done...e.g.. wht MCC needs to be installed,
how many vertical sections,wht breaker, etc etc...in short everything is complete or should i say
the whole design is approved within the department( i mean electrical dept)......
how will vendor drawing come into picture in this project...?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
how will vendor drawing come into picture in this project...?
That depends a lot on what information the drawing imparts. The first aspect that comes to mind is simply dimensions. The next may be permitted or desired raceway entry locations. Many more possibilities...

rcwilson

MCC Vendor drawings depend on what was ordered or the manufacturer's standard offering. Like anything else, if the specs or purchase order does not call for drawings, they will not be supplied.

Typcial MCC drawings could include:

One Line Diagrams
Front view of MCC with a table showing the equipment in each bucket.
Control schematics and/or wiring diagrams
Nameplate List
Spare parts list
Breaker and motor overload coordination curves or tables.

Just because you have an MCC layout vendor drawing of the equipment as shipped, doesn't mean it is accurate for the as-built. Changes are made on site to add loads discovered during installation, swap buckets around to make wiring easier and for many other reasons. It is best to do an inspection or get accurate as-built's from the contractor.

Welcome to the site and the profession! Keep asking questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.