General Query

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an electrician that is claiming that the Art 210 requirement for a receptacle, which we generally ask for next to the panel; is only for 200amp and above.

Anybody else able to locate this specific statement in the code?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have an electrician that is claiming that the Art 210 requirement for a receptacle, which we generally ask for next to the panel; is only for 200amp and above.

You/he may be thinking of a receptacle that is sometimes placed near the panel in an unfinished basement or garage.
That is just to satisfy the GFCI requirement for protection in those areas.

I don't know of any code requiring a receptacle near the panel other than if the panel happened to fall within the wall space requirements.

kwired

Electron manager

Can you tell us which 210 article you (or whoever "we" in your OP is) think is requiring such a receptacle.

I do not know of any such requirement.

Can you tell us which 210 article you (or whoever "we" in your OP is) think is requiring such a receptacle.

I do not know of any such requirement.

Art 210.52(G)(1)
The general requirement for a rec in a basement, which most electricians will place next to the panel for convenience purposes.
The question is NOT about the receptacle, but whether or not anyone knows of another code that says this does NOT apply to 100amp services.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Art 210.52(G)(1)
The general requirement for a rec in a basement, which most electricians will place next to the panel for convenience purposes.
The question is NOT about the receptacle, but whether or not anyone knows of another code that says this does NOT apply to 100amp services.

See post #2

Also read the article (210.50(G)(1) that you posted.
Do you see anything about size of service mentioned there?
If it's a dwelling, the 210.52 requirements apply regardless of service size.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Off hand, I can't think of ANY Art 210 requirement that changes based on service size.

kwired

Electron manager
Art 210.52(G)(1)
Read through that article again and tell us where it says this receptacle must be next to the panel. What if there is no panel in the basement? The article simply says there must be a receptacle in the basement and nothing about specifically where.

As far as you not questioning the receptacle but rather questioning whether or not it applies to 100 amp services - find us something, or ask your inspector to find something, I don't believe there is anything that specifically mentions such things. It is hard to find or enforce code that doesn't exist.

Nothing in 210.52 has anything to do with size of the service.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Read through that article again and tell us where it says this receptacle must be next to the panel. What if there is no panel in the basement? The article simply says there must be a receptacle in the basement and nothing about specifically where.

As far as you not questioning the receptacle but rather questioning whether or not it applies to 100 amp services - find us something, or ask your inspector to find something, I don't believe there is anything that specifically mentions such things. It is hard to find or enforce code that doesn't exist.

Nothing in 210.52 has anything to do with size of the service.

OP's profile says he is an inspector!

kwired

Electron manager
OP's profile says he is an inspector!
Sorry, forget that part. If he is the inspector, he needs to find the right code and enforce it and not assume what is in code or make up his own code. There is no requirement for a receptacle next to a panel. I asked OP for a code section and best thing he could come up with still did not require one.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The purpose for providing the receptacle wouldn't change even if the service were 100 amps.

iwire

Staff member
Again there is no NEC requirement for a receptacle near a panel regardless of size and the requirements for other receptacles are not changed by the size of a panel that happens to be near by.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Again there is no NEC requirement for a receptacle near a panel regardless of size and the requirements for other receptacles are not changed by the size of a panel that happens to be near by.

See, I knew we were right!

The great "Code Oz" has spoken!:p:D

Status
Not open for further replies.