difference in two types of ground rods, copper and galv

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
The material they are made of and all of the "copper" ground rods I have seen are copper clad.
If you were to attempt to drive an all copper rod in even moderately hard soil you will smash it to some degree. Steel core is necessary for strength, copper cladding is necessary for corrosion resistance and improved conductivity to the soil.

Volta

A study by Erico a few years back of exhumed rods showed that there was a large difference in the longevity of the two types. As I recall they claimed that galv rods had a good amount of deterioration after nine or ten years, but copper-clad would take about forty to get to the same point.

brian john

A study by Erico a few years back of exhumed rods showed that there was a large difference in the longevity of the two types. As I recall they claimed that galv rods had a good amount of deterioration after nine or ten years, but copper-clad would take about forty to get to the same point.

I would think that could vary on the type of soil and minerals in the soil. maybe?

Lastly I am always suspect of studies completed by manufactures.

Volta

I would think that could vary on the type of soil and minerals in the soil. maybe?

Lastly I am always suspect of studies completed by manufactures.

Yes, it can vary greatly, to be sure.

Also yes. At least they sell both kinds, but I know what you mean. It was pretty exhaustive, in my opinion though.

Here is the report.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Right

Right

Or i can just drive a 3/4" RMC and use that.
Sure you can.

And if you have too, you can go and meet the inspector with your codebook and your file of twenty-seven, colour, glossy, photographs, with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one, to be used as evidence for the reason he is wrong for rejecting you.
:D

iwire

Staff member
Sure you can.

And if you have too, you can go and meet the inspector with your codebook and your file of twenty-seven, colour, glossy, photographs, with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one, to be used as evidence for the reason he is wrong for rejecting you.

Is it legal or not?

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
Would you not also need the approval of the judge with his seeing eye dog? Are we talking about blind justice? Gotta love "Alice's Resturant". Flash backs.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Sure you can.

You should know by the seeing eye dog he has with him that the inspector is not going to look at your twenty-seven, colour, glossy, photographs, with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one is. It's a case of American Blind Code Enforcement.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You should know by the seeing eye dog he has with him that the inspector is not going to look at your twenty-seven, colour, glossy, photographs, with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one is. It's a case of American Blind Code Enforcement.
You may be able to persuade the dog though. :)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Is it legal or not?
On second glance I can see how my post could be interpreted to mean- Suuuurrre you can.:roll: That is not the way I meant it.

What I wanted to say is, Yes, but it may take a lot of effort to get it approved.
Sometimes I go around my elbow to get to my thumb. Both my wife and my boss are frequently frustrated by this.

I must be doing something right since they both let me back in the house or the shop accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.