Assembly tooling arcing on mobile equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I've got an interesting issue. I have battery powered mobile equipment. When this equipment is charging, the assembly tooling (torque guns) will arc on it when they make contact. The potential difference is only mV. Mobile equipment has static chains. Battery charger is on 480V, tooling is on 120V. So I have a couple questions.

The client says the tooling gets hot at this one station, possibly due to current backfeeding through the tooling. IMO this would not be the case because mV would not push enough current to heat up such a large object. I think the tooling is just getting warm on it's own. Your thoughts?

Also, what would cause this in the first place? My only thought is something to do with being on separately derived systems since the tooling would be powered through a transformer/panel. Hence me asking this in the grounding section. Thoughts?

Thanks for the input.

Static charge difference between the gun & the Equipment?

That would be the first thing we would check, but being that in only happens during the charge cycle, I don't think it's static. The charger has to be adding some sort of charge. Could this be considered static charge? I don't know, but to me it seems not. If it's going through the bottom of the equipment, through the frame, and into tooling, that is more than surface charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.