Metering a Fronius system

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffeebean

I have a customer that wants to install a separate meter on a Fronius inverter so they can keep track of their power. They told me that New Jersey requires this separate meter and the homeowner bought the meter.My question is can I do it.It is a Fronius IG4000 I've never worked on solar before so any help or direction would be appreciated.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have a customer that wants to install a separate meter on a Fronius inverter so they can keep track of their power. They told me that New Jersey requires this separate meter and the homeowner bought the meter.My question is can I do it.It is a Fronius IG4000 I've never worked on solar before so any help or direction would be appreciated.
The requirement is so that the production numbers (kWH) as well as the net kWh number is available to calculate the SRECs payable to the user each year. It needs to be a revenue grade meter. You will set it up between the Fronius AC output and the point where it is tied to the grid, with no homeowner loads in between. This is easy for a pure GTI, but trickier for a hybrid system that contains its own transfer switch.

SolarPro

Probably very easy. At this system size, the meter is typically installed in-line in the inverter output circuit. That may be all there is to it.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Probably very easy. At this system size, the meter is typically installed in-line in the inverter output circuit. That may be all there is to it.

If it is for SREC or other state purposes, it may require an inspection and seal by appropriate authority, and so inaccessible wiring between inverter and meter. Look for that in the regs.

Zee

Hey,
We just discussed this, lucky for you.
See the thread right before this, "production meter connections".
Basically:
Solar goes on line side of meter. Unless non-directional meter. Bi-directional is different.
Solar goes on load side of AC disconnect switch.(if there is one)
Utility will have very SPECIFIC height and location req.s for a meter, check.

Status
Not open for further replies.