peckerhead splicing

Status
Not open for further replies.

When you guys splice in a fire punp peckerhead do you crimp the load wires from the controller with eye loops since the motor wires have them also and put a bolt , lock washer and nut? Then use rubber , friction and vinly tape? Do you cut loops off motor leads and use bug?

masterinbama

I prefer ring terminals and bolts. After bolting them up I wrap 4 layers of 33 or 88+ over them sticky side out then the rubber and then a regular layer. This facilitates easy removal down the road.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I prefer ring terminals and bolts. After bolting them up I wrap 4 layers of 33 or 88+ over them sticky side out then the rubber and then a regular layer. This facilitates easy removal down the road.

I use glass tape with no adhesive. This protects the rubber from sharper edges and really facilitates easy removal.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We use these:

Fire+Pump.jpg

mike7330

We use these:

Fire+Pump.jpg

Rob I have used them too! The only thing you must look out for is on the fine strand copper wire, the set screw will cut the wires strands and damage them, I know the 2011 code addresses lugs and ratings for fine strand wire and must be rated. I sorry I'm too lazy to get off the couch and get my code book for the article, but it's couch time now till bed time.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Rob I have used them too! The only thing you must look out for is on the fine strand copper wire, the set screw will cut the wires strands and damage them, I know the 2011 code addresses lugs and ratings for fine strand wire and must be rated. I sorry I'm too lazy to get off the couch and get my code book for the article, but it's couch time now till bed time.

Good point. :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I always use ring terminals and bolts. Sometimes I will use Raychem GelCaps in place of tape.

If I use tape, I use rubber, sticky side out and then plastic. If you pull the rubber tight as you wrap it, there is no problem removing it later. Just cut a slit the length of the tape and use two pair of pliers to remove it.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Good point. :)

Would this be it?
Connectors and terminals for conductors more finely stranded than Class B and Class C stranding as shown in Chapter 9, Table 10, shall be identified for the specific conductor class or classes.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Would this be it?
Connectors and terminals for conductors more finely stranded than Class B and Class C stranding as shown in Chapter 9, Table 10, shall be identified for the specific conductor class or classes.

As Mike stated 110.14 so that would be it. The conductor classes in that table are considered the standard classes. I'm guessing that the conductors in the motor photo should fall into one of those classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.