Strut/Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

grasfulls

strut coatings

strut coatings

Strut is common as electroplated, galvanized, stainless, non-metallic (more?).. all depends on the application. I cannot think of many indoor installations where I would use galvanized. Sometimes specs are boiler-plate and architects/engineers often pay little attention to things like composition of a support member for electrical as they copy and paste their specs.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Is most of the strut/channel that's used to support racks of conduit galvanized and why if it is used indoor?

Unistrut for one is available "plain". However, it still has the oil coating that was used during the forming process. Also, unless you're in Arizona or someplace equally dry, plain steel will start to rust at some point. The coated strut maintains a cleaner appearance over time.

grasfulls

will rust

will rust

Unistrut for one is available "plain". However, it still has the oil coating that was used during the forming process. Also, unless you're in Arizona or someplace equally dry, plain steel will start to rust at some point. The coated strut maintains a cleaner appearance over time.

And if you cut the coated, you should have a can of cold gal for the galvanized ends, maybe just primer for plated?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
And if you cut the coated, you should have a can of cold gal for the galvanized ends, maybe just primer for plated?

And you de-burr and bevel all edges of course. Which is why they made me an engineer and not an installer :lol:.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
So which one is used most frequently for indoor conduit(s) support?

In research areas with a high budget, I typically saw dichromate coated (gold looking) unistrut, which is a durable surface treatment that is resistant to rust, etc. and is smoother and easier to work with than galvanized. Not really intended for outdoor use.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Most of what we use is plated but sometimes we use the forest green painted kind.

a lot of it depends on what flavor the wholesale house is stocking.

i usually use the plated version. most wholesale houses use that instead
of painted, and it's used a lot in exterior around here as well.

when you get to honest galvanized, it's usually in a refinery, etc.

sewage and food packing is stainless, with stainless straps.

Blaer

Define 'galvanized.' Then, check your assumptions.

Look at the McMaster-Carr catalog here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#strut-channel-systems/=m1d0jo

"Zinc plated" is no more expensive than 'painted.

"Primed" costs much more than 'painted.'

"Galvanized" costs nearly twice as much as simple zinc plating. I expect the difference is in the thickness of the coating.

Silver? Yellow? Green? I expect that, in most cases, folks just use whatever the supply house is stocking that day.

mstrlucky74

Not so much, our purchaser will get me whatever I ask for.

For large quantities we don't even buy it from an electrical supply house, we get it from a steel company in 20' lengths.

Curious IWIRE--which steel company? I assume its cheaper going thhat route.

Status
Not open for further replies.