Bending conduit on a unlevel table

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

So lets say you bending a 22 degree offset. You put your protractor on the straight piece pipe, and its - 2 degrees. So then you put your protractor on the angle, and it says 22 degrees. So what do you do? Bend to 24 degrees? And vise versa your table is +2 degrees so your angle should be 20 degrees? Thank you for your help.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Throw away the protractor and get one of these. :)

Place it on the conduit and hit the RESET or in some cases ZERO button. Now it won't matter if the conduit starts on an incline. Or you can do what you said add or subtract to compensate for the conduit starting point being not level.

spin_prod_221569301

zappy

So am I doing it right?

So am I doing it right?

I'm still not clear if I'm using my protractor right. If the table is -2 degrees then you bend 2 degrees past your angle? And vise versa? P.S. that digital level would be nice to have.

zappy

Place it on the conduit and hit the RESET or in some cases ZERO button. Now it won't matter if the conduit starts on an incline. Or you can do what you said add or subtract to compensate for the conduit starting point being not level.

spin_prod_221569301

Does it have rare earth magnets?

cadpoint

To say a "protractor", I over heard a surveyor once tell about a pencil point and a protractor!

If your off your desired mark by a pencil point you've floated off your mark (depending on scale) by inches, feet/meters, and miles.

It's that average equatorial angle they one is trying to complete in most cases.

The human eye can detect one-eight of inch deflection in ten feet, hmmm convenient.

zappy

Add or subtract which way?

Add or subtract which way?

spin_prod_221569301

So what I described in my original post is the correct way?

handy10

So lets say you bending a 22 degree offset. You put your protractor on the straight piece pipe, and its - 2 degrees. So then you put your protractor on the angle, and it says 22 degrees. So what do you do? Bend to 24 degrees? And vise versa your table is +2 degrees so your angle should be 20 degrees? Thank you for your help.

I am not exactly sure what you mean when you say the protractor is "on the straight pipe and its - 2 degrees". If the pipe is straight, the protractor will read 0 regardless of the table's slope. If the protractor has a level associated with it and it reads -2, you should bend the pipe until your protractor reads 24 degrees.

I agree with the suggestion that you get the Sears angle measuring device, then you don't have to worry about the slope of the table.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Depends on which way you are measuring. If your bending takes you past the zero mark, then you bend to the +20 degree mark. If it does not take you past the zero mark, then you bend to the ?24 degree mark. Either way is a "relative" 22 degree measurement. (The preceding does not account for springback overbending.)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

If you start at -2, then add 22, you should read 20 degrees on your 'protractor' to have a 22 degree bend. So, if you are reading 22, you are over by 2 degrees.

If you start at +2, then add 22, your protractor would read 24 degrees on a 22 degree bend.

Also, I think the correct terminology is inclinometer, not protractor.

Does it look like this:

View attachment 8296

Status
Not open for further replies.