Medical Grade MC Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

Hi everyone. We did some design work on a medical facility several months ago where we allowed medical grade MC to be used. I just got a call from the EC saying that the electrical inspector was giving him problems on terminating this stuff. He is using Southwire HCF MC cable. In the instructions it shows a aluminium wire being ran on the inside of the metal armor and then it shows the aluminium wire being cut flush with the armor, and then the green insulated ground wire is shown being terminated to the box.

My thinking is that the purpose of the aluminium wire is to make sure the armor is continuously bonded properly together which should be terminated with a proper clamp, then the insulated ground serves as a secondary means.
The inspector wants him to keep the aluminum bare wire and terminate it under the screw in the metal box along with the green insulated wire. I told him that he needs to follow the instructions on the product he is using which is UL listed for this purpose.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree too, the inspector does not understand the purpose of the bare conductor. Terminating as he suggested will not accomplish much and is certainly not required. The product should be installed as per it's instructions.

Npstewart

thanks guys, I appreciate your help. I had a feeling I was correct but I wanted to make sure. if he installed it any other way than using the instructions he would violate other sections of the code anyway.

Much appreciated!!!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see a problem with terminating the inspectors way either (other than a waste of time and money) it's just not required.

Status
Not open for further replies.