Cheap (but good) CAD software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tx2step

What do most of you use for making drawings, sketches, etc.?

This is mainly for light-to-moderate commercial applications, but probably also some residential (if I have to)...

I'll only use it occasionally, so I can't justify the price of Autocad.

Have any of you used any of the TurboCAD software? If so, how do you like it & which version are you using? The current TurboCAD Deluxe 20 sells for around $130.00.

Any other's that any of you recommend?

I'd also hope the software is fairly intuitive, so the learning curve isn't too steep. But I want it to be able to do floor plans, layouts, risers, etc. and be fairly flexible and comprehensive -- I don't want to spend a fair amount of time learning to use it just to find out it's not strong or flexible enough to do what's needed down the road.

In the past, I've used Microsoft Visio Pro 2003 (on Windows XP platform) to do this stuff, but I've moved to a Windows 7 platform & have to update software, so I'm thinking a CAD program would probably be better at making drawings than Visio was???

TurboCAD is also supposed to do 3D modeling fairly well, too, which might be useful occasionally? I don't really know about the usefulness of 3D, since I haven't don't that before...but it sounds cool...

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

mgookin

You'll want to know if that software can import a .dwg if you're going to be getting floor plans from other people to do your E sheets on.

tx2step

I use AutoSketch 10, but it is already 5 years old.

I am still learning some of the finer points of it, there has to be something better, but I don't want to start over again either. Viscious circle.

Exactly! That's what I want to avoid. I'd rather pay a little more for a program that'll do what's needed for quite a while -- I don't want to have to start over later. But I don't want to pay what AutoCAD LTE costs, either.

That's the conundrum! Where is / What is the "sweet spot" of good enough, but not too expensive?

tx2step

You'll want to know if that software can import a .dwg if you're going to be getting floor plans from other people to do your E sheets on.

Their website says that it does, and can also save drawings in that format so that AutoCAD can read and work with what you have done. But, of course, I haven't tried it. I was hoping some of you guys had already tried it and know how well it works.

I'm not sure how to post a link to a website. But I'll give it a try & hope it works:

1st link, Compatability chart: 2nd link, basic info about TurboCAD 20 Deluxe:

http://www.turbocad.com/Portals/1/Charts/TC_19_File_Formats.pdf

[URL]http://www.turbocad.com/TurboCAD/TurboCADWindows/TurboCADDeluxev20/tabid/2407/Default.aspx
[/URL]

tx2step

~ ... ~

tx2step,

Have you looked at / played with Google's SketchUp program?
It's on the Google homepage and it's free!

~ ... ~

I've looked at it some, but most of what I'm reading is that Google has stripped down the current free version quite a bit & moved most of the better features to their $500 paid version. I'm just going by what the current comments are saying -- I don't have any experience with it myself. Most of the current reviews I've read say that the current free version is just to get you hooked, so you'll upgrade. How old is the version you're using?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Exactly! That's what I want to avoid. I'd rather pay a little more for a program that'll do what's needed for quite a while -- I don't want to have to start over later. But I don't want to pay what AutoCAD LTE costs, either.

That's the conundrum! Where is / What is the "sweet spot" of good enough, but not too expensive?

i broke down and bought 2013 acad light for the mac.
$1075 direct download from autocad.

the one in the apple store is a throwaway, you can't get an upgrade.

the problem is if you get something like desgncad, it's "autocad compatible"
... so they say, but sometimes it won't open autocad files.

most of my autocad learning experience was on a dos version back
in 1995, so most of what i do is with keyboard commands, rather
than pull down menues

ddchprop, etc. works on all versions and platforms.
so i can sit down at any 'pooter, and it's all the same.

kwired

Electron manager
tx2step, have you used any kind of drawing software before. I once bought Turbocad, and had no experience with this type of software and could not figure out how to use it.

I later bought a product called SmartDraw, it was much easier to learn how to use and similar priced. May not be the best product to use but is easier to learn with. I think I probably could figure Turbocad out easier if I were to try it now. You will spend some time, even on simple drawings especially until you get accustomed to using it.

mgookin

Their website says that it does, and can also save drawings in that format so that AutoCAD can read and work with what you have done. But, of course, I haven't tried it. I was hoping some of you guys had already tried it and know how well it works.

I'm not sure how to post a link to a website. But I'll give it a try & hope it works:

1st link, Compatability chart: 2nd link, basic info about TurboCAD 20 Deluxe:

http://www.turbocad.com/Portals/1/Charts/TC_19_File_Formats.pdf

http://www.turbocad.com/TurboCAD/TurboCADWindows/TurboCADDeluxev20/tabid/2407/Default.aspx

It says it works with both dwg and pdf. I find myself doing a lot of pdf imports (called an underlay) when I want to either copy something or insert a UL sheet or similar in Autocad.
I've been on Autocad since late 1990's and presently use Autocad 2010.
If they offer a trial, I'd give it a shot.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Check out DraftSight from SolidWorks: http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/free-cad-software/
It's a 2D software package similar to AutoCAD LT but it's FREE! :thumbsup:
Works great! I've been using it for several years now.

It works pretty well. I do most of my drawings with it.

I will tell you that it has some major issues with some fancy things one of our customers does with their title blocks and I end up having to use real AutoCAD to modify the title blocks for those drawings.

It works pretty well. I do most of my drawings with it.

I will tell you that it has some major issues with some fancy things one of our customers does with their title blocks and I end up having to use real AutoCAD to modify the title blocks for those drawings.

Yes it has a few short comings - the table function isn't as good as AutoCAD and printing is a little more involved, but hey you can't beat the price. :)

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
ViaCAD 2D

ViaCAD 2D

I've looked at it for personal use but haven't actually taken it for a spin. It claims to import DXF and DWG, as well as BMP, SketchUP, and Adobe Illustrator. At $39.99 you can hardly go wrong just to look at it. They also have a 2D/3D upgrade and a Pro version, all aimed at the consumer market. They also have a professional product called Shark LT ($699.99) and Shark FX ($1,795) that look like they'll do anything a $4,000+ product will do. YMMV. Check them out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.