Fire Alarm Wire and Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

First of all most of those 'big box' stores have white fire cable now. then it's painted. It's not a violation to paint it per 72. The indentification is still under the paint, dry fall paint just flakes off, some don't, but it's still there. With few AHJ local amendments and gadfly's considerations for the paint to damage the jacket, you are being paranoid about painting it. I appreciate your passion for code compliance, I don't feel this passes the straight face test.

Why are you intentionally over spending your customers money by only using plenum? You are really ripping yourself off. If there is no need/requirement for plenum , keep the cost difference for your self!!!!

Speaking of Plenum!! I had yet another contractor tell me that an open ceiling required Plenum because, the air circulating in that space eventually makes it back into the return air duct work. He tried to hang me with the GC and a building inspector. The inspector delayed the final inspection a day let me 'fix' 10000'+ of various cables. After politely requesting a code reference, (ummmm well, ummm), we allot on the same page. Turns out the other guy thinks the last job specs he had were code mimimum, he felt enlightened and tried to share. :)

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
No, not at all, just disagree with you that's all.

That's cool, and I was just kidding.

But I really ....... really. .... just do not get what you are missing or how you can not see how concealing a cable with Sheetrock is the same as concealing it with paint.

The only concern I have ever heard about paint is that when asked, paint manufacturers will gladly tell you that "water based paints" will have no ill effect on the cable jacket but they will not say so about other types of paints or, as I imagine being a bad idea, stain, waterproofing or other similar things the average person may refer to as "paint". The article I had read basically said it's an issue that paint manufacturers need to address as they are the ones who know what is in their various products and how it will affect other material(s). I think the only real issue is just what exactly are you putting on the cable? Like I said above, general consensus is that water based paints are harmless but other types of "paint" may or may not be. As far as a code violation, I don't see it as being one, though to be fair most of my work takes place in a jurisdiction that requires all FA conductors to be in pipe or MC so I virtually never come across painted FA cables.

Simplex

Good heavens this is bloddy simple!

Good heavens this is bloddy simple!

Look...

If the GC says don't paint it... don't paint it.

Get your inspection done and signed off.

You're done.

Let the owner complain to the GC that it's ugly... Aint your concern anyway.

Let the owner paint it white. Then it becomes his liability, if any.

Good lord, The GC gave you your out... install the wire, get the inspection, go on to the next job... let the owner deal with the GC. Aint your problem at that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.