Pushmatic/Bulldog breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Has anyone here found Pushmatic /Bulldog circuit breakers to be unreliable or unsafe? I have found safety issues with FP and Zinsco, but never with these. In the same panel today I had one 15A that would not reset , one 15A that would not trip with hot and neutral touching each other, and one 15A that was holding a 22A load(2 dehumidifiers and furnace). Seemed strange to have so much wrong all in one place.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Has anyone here found Pushmatic /Bulldog circuit breakers to be unreliable or unsafe? I have found safety issues with FP and Zinsco, but never with these. In the same panel today I had one 15A that would not reset , one 15A that would not trip with hot and neutral touching each other, and one 15A that was holding a 22A load(2 dehumidifiers and furnace). Seemed strange to have so much wrong all in one place.

Possibly they are all counterfeit copies of the real breakers and were all installed from the same supplier at the same time?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have heard stories about them but never experienced it myself. Did you show and explain to your customer the issue with the breakers?

nizak

All appeared to be original equip.judging from the issue#'s on the labels. I had some of what I know for sure are original breakers (took out of my parents house, installed by my Grandfather in the 50's) that were very similar as to label type and issue. FWIW, panel was in pristine condition on the interior looked like the day it was installed. Only work that appears to have been done was a QO sub panel that was added next to it at some point and even that was done properly.

I have seen 1 that wouldn't reset until pressed many times (and not due to an electrical problem). That panel got replaced.

Keep in mind the age of those breakers. Everything deteriorates over time and they've probably been in service for 50 years.
I do have 1 15 amp pushmatic brand new still in the box:thumbsup:

bobbymari

coincedently , I've had 3 calls within the past week for power outages. All were 30 amp 2 pole sub feeds all with same scenario. 1 phase down. Only one pole dead on these bulldogs. No other issues just failed breakers. Odd week 3 different properties same issue. Got replacements from homedepot, . Bright side got 2 of the 3 to sign the dotted line for service upgrades. Highly suggest hanging on to old functioning breakers when changing these,stab locks, and zinscos when doing a changeout. Come in very handy alot of times. Unfortuntunatly didnt have any 2 pole 30s on truck

Last edited:
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Sounds like typical issues for these old breakers.
One of the tricks to resetting a two pole is push in slowly until you hear the first click, pull out on the handle, then push in all the way. That is for someone with patience and a light touch. Another method and the most recommended is to replace with a new CH, GE, SQD, etc.

kwired

Electron manager
How long was the 22A load applied to the 15A breaker. They do not instantly trip at 16A, there is a trip curve.

Volta

In my opinion the Pushmatic breaker was a pretty solid device, I've rarely seen problems with them. Stuff is aging to be sure, but they are still commonly found unlike most of their contemporaries.

zog

coincedently , I've had 3 calls within the past week for power outages. All were 30 amp 2 pole sub feeds all with same scenario. 1 phase down. Only one pole dead on these bulldogs. No other issues just failed breakers. Odd week 3 different properties same issue. Got replacements from homedepot, . Bright side got 2 of the 3 to sign the dotted line for service upgrades. Highly suggest hanging on to old functioning breakers when changing these,stab locks, and zinscos when doing a changeout. Come in very handy alot of times. Unfortuntunatly didnt have any 2 pole 30s on truck

How do you verify they are "functioning"? Are you primary injection testing them and comparing thier trip times to the TCC's?

Status
Not open for further replies.