600 Pair Feed Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbullion

Hi,

I have a customer who is demolishing one of there outbuildings that was used as an office building and it had a 600 pair feed cable for the phone lines to run over. The cable is currently demoed back to a pole. Are they alright abandoning that cable as is? Or does it need to be grounded in some way? I've looked through the NEC code book and the only reference I can find is 800.25 (B). My concerns is that aerial cable left on a pole is basically an antenna/lightning rod... They don't want to pay to have it demoed all the way back to the Main Office. Any input is appreciated.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hi,

I have a customer who is demolishing one of there outbuildings that was used as an office building and it had a 600 pair feed cable for the phone lines to run over. The cable is currently demoed back to a pole. Are they alright abandoning that cable as is? Or does it need to be grounded in some way? I've looked through the NEC code book and the only reference I can find is 800.25 (B). My concerns is that aerial cable left on a pole is basically an antenna/lightning rod... They don't want to pay to have it demoed all the way back to the Main Office. Any input is appreciated.

I would not be worried about lightning. it is no worse of a threat now then it previously was.

800.25 Abandoned Cables. The accessible portion of abandoned
communications cables shall be removed.

IMO, the cable that is strung along a pole is accessible. You might be able to argue this cabling is not under article 800. read carefully the definition of what is covered by article 800.

Last edited:

Rampage_Rick

Considering that stuff routinely gets stolen off the poles, I'm sure that somebody is willing to come and remove it for free.

600 pair would be what, 2" diameter? Probably around 2lbs of copper per foot of cable...

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
IMO, the cable that is strung along a pole is accessible. You might be able to argue this cabling is not under article 800. read carefully the definition of what is covered by article 800.

Art 800 and the NEC for that matter has no jurisdiction over communications cables installed outdoors. 800.25 is referring to cables within a structure.

-Hal

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Art 800 and the NEC for that matter has no jurisdiction over communications cables installed outdoors. 800.25 is referring to cables within a structure.

-Hal

One of the reasons I suggested he read closely what things the article covers is that it was unclear to me that article 800 does or does not cover this situation.

I don't see anywhere in article 800 that it specifically excludes outdoor circuits though.

tbullion

Thanks for the reply's

Thanks for the reply's

I appreciate the reply's. I'll tell them they can just leave it on the pole as is then. It might be worth renting a lift a lift and removing it for free for the price of the scrap. lol Probably 1500 ft of cable up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.