Halfwall Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

erickench

I did an inspection today on a single family house that was being rebuilt on the inside. I walked up the stairs to the second floor landing and I saw a sort of halfwall with no receptacle installed in accordance with NEC 210.50(A)(1)&(2). I call it a halfwall because it does not reach the ceiling, it only goes halfway up from the floor. Question: Is a receptacle required? Does it still constitute a wall even though it doesn't reach the ceiling?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I agree with Chris, but I may have to see a pic so I better understand where the wall is located. I have a lot of these and it's sort of a loft area that many use as a mini office or what not and I require the normal outlet spacing there.

david

I walked up the stairs to the second floor landing and I saw a sort of halfwall with no receptacle installed in accordance with NEC 210.50(A)(1)&(2).: Is a receptacle required? Does it still constitute a wall even though it doesn't reach the ceiling?

Since you said second floor landing and a halfwall I would first consider how many rooms on that floor. Is the floor space in front of the halfwall a hall or is it floor space in a defined room. If is defined as a hall than how long is the hall?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would want to know what is on the other side of the halfwall. I have lost many an argument here :))) over the question of whether a barrier whose function is to prevent someone from falling onto the floor below falls under this rule. I say that I lost the argument because I think the rule does not apply, and nobody seems to agree with me. :happysad:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I would want to know what is on the other side of the halfwall. I have lost many an argument here :))) over the question of whether a barrier whose function is to prevent someone from falling onto the floor below falls under this rule. I say that I lost the argument because I think the rule does not apply, and nobody seems to agree with me. :happysad:

Good point. If the safety barrier is an open balustrade or grille, there is no need for a receptacle. And no place to put one. Same if it is a solid panel rather than a two-sided stud wall. But in the latter case, is it likely that furniture would be placed against it or a vacuum cleaner plugged in? IMHO it comes down, as david pointed out, to whether the halfwall is part of a room or loft at the top of the stairs or just one side of a hallway which could be served by outlets on the opposite wall. (Assuming it is longer than 3 meters and needs an outlet at all.)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Good point. If the safety barrier is an open balustrade or grille, there is no need for a receptacle. And no place to put one. Same if it is a solid panel rather than a two-sided stud wall. But in the latter case, is it likely that furniture would be placed against it or a vacuum cleaner plugged in? IMHO it comes down, as david pointed out, to whether the halfwall is part of a room or loft at the top of the stairs or just one side of a hallway which could be served by outlets on the opposite wall. (Assuming it is longer than 3 meters and needs an outlet at all.)

why does it matter if it can be "served" from the other side. the requirement is not that you have an outlet in a hallway but that you have it on all wall space.

i don't see how a barrier like this is a wall.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
why does it matter if it can be "served" from the other side. the requirement is not that you have an outlet in a hallway but that you have it on all wall space.

i don't see how a barrier like this is a wall.

A hallway is not any of the types of rooms to which the wall length provision applies. And 210.52(H) (2011) states:

Hallways. In dwelling units, hallways of 3.0 m (10 ft) or more in length shall have at least one receptacle outlet.
That does not say one receptacle per wall, and does not even require one receptacle per 10 feet, just one somewhere in the hallway so you do not have to run a cord through a doorway to get power.
On the other hand, if the space is a foyer (I) with an area greater than 60 sq.ft., you are back to a per-wall-length requirement.

As to whether or not this is a wall, the NEC does not define the term. Where would you draw the line? In many "Eichler style" homes there are interior partition walls, including bedroom walls, that stop anywhere from a foot to six feet short of the ceiling. Are those walls? They do typically have receptacles.

north star

~ + ~

FWIW...

From the `06 IRC, Section E3801.2.1 Spacing:
"Receptacles shall be installed so that no point measured
horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more
than 6 feet (1829 mm), from a receptacle outlet."

and

Section E3801.2.2 Wall space:
"As used in this section, a wall space shall include the
following:
1. Any space that is 2 feet (610 mm) or more in width,
(including space measured around corners), and that is
unbroken along the floor line by doorways, fireplaces,
and similar openings.
2. The space occupied by fixed panels in exterior walls,
excluding sliding panels.
3. The space created by fixed room dividers such as
railings and freestanding bar-type counters."

~ + ~

Last edited:

fmtjfw

How could you possible mount receptacles on a structure made out of rails and not masonry?

About 50 different ways:
1. Floor outlet within 18 inches of railing
2. Bell box mounted on vertical part of railing
3. small framed wall"ette" containing standard outlet box
4. 4x4 box with plaster ring mounted on vertical part of railing
5. surface raceway running horizontally across vertical part of railing
6. box mounted in large post at end of railing

Status
Not open for further replies.