8 wire cubicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small office job that added 2 cubicles that now need power. The cubicle is wired for an 8 wire, 3 shared + 1 dedicated circuits. My question is can I just run a single circuit and hook up the 4 hots in the cubicles to the circuit hot (and the same thing for the two cubicle neutrals and two grounds). There is just 1 computer and monitor per cubicle and no sensitive equipment.

cadpoint

Welcome!
I don’t know why you’d want to even mess with the existing circuits? I’d leave them be if practical.

If that’s the only power source than you might think about breaking up the shared 3 hots on one neutral and make two wires dedicated to a new circuits(a hot and a neutral) to the new cubicles and new breaker. You’d then have to QA all the receptacles in all the existing Cubicles to assure power. If you do feed a new circuit into this mix I believe you have to label it accordingly.

You stated 3 hots shared a neutral and one dictated circuit that makes 6 wires in use? Maybe you missed stating one circuit, use that and add a 12/2. But then again if your only adding from an existing whip your limited.

I’d run a new circuit if these cubes have there own whip and not mess with the existing circuit in the existing cubicles. You could run a 12/5 w/ 2 hots and two neutrals and for two breakers, for the new cubicles. One circuit each, beside people load up the cubes, JMO. They call it a 12/4 w/G, not a 12/5 which could be ordered!

Last edited:

eHunter

I have a small office job that added 2 cubicles that now need power. The cubicle is wired for an 8 wire, 3 shared + 1 dedicated circuits. My question is can I just run a single circuit and hook up the 4 hots in the cubicles to the circuit hot (and the same thing for the two cubicle neutrals and two grounds). There is just 1 computer and monitor per cubicle and no sensitive equipment.

Are the receptacles factory built/installed in the cubicle?
With a power whip?
What brand and model of cubicle?
What is the rated voltage/current on the whip label?

Let me clarify. Currently there are no cubicles in this room (not a big space and new company), they just brought in two cubicles that use the standard 8 wires (3 phase with shared neutral and then an isolated circuit for a total of 4 hots, 2 neutrals, 2 grounds). The cubicles have receptacles a-b-c & d. It doesn't make sense to have 4 circuits for 2 cubicles so I am trying to figure out if I can run just run one circuit to hook up all the cubicle wires to. I didn't find anything in the wiring diagram on whether I could do this or not.

This would not be ideal, but it would be more practical then running 4 new circuits especially because there would be no room in their space to add more cubicles and 4 circuits for 2 cubicles is overkill.

cadpoint

Minus the manufactures instructions, you should still be fine.

That's fine tie the circuits in together. I'd still give a circuit to each cubicle. JMO.

The wires can be used for a grouping or branched out, it really no different than loading up a sting of receptacles.

bobbymari

We normally give a circuit for every 2 cubes, but have on occasion due to circumstance given 1 circuit for up to 4 cubes. We have yet to have a problem with this. Yes, you can tie your circuit into the multiple whip wires. But as stated before, you should still refer to manufacter specs. Get model number, and a quick internet search will show you their wiring diagram. At least the ones we've hooked up all have a diagram. Be sure they are not going to be warming their feet with space heaters as well on that one circuit though.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You could use just one circuit but then this may apply:

220-03b9.gif

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

I understand what you are asking and I used to do it all the time. What really matters is the requirements of the customer, and the code that infinity referenced. Don't forget to tie the isolated ground to the normal grounds though.

Status
Not open for further replies.