CAT 6 IN FMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaw0486

Hi
I have searched the code for a reference on sizing conduit for tele/data cable fil and can't find what I need does anyone know where this is if at all?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The NEC does not address raceway wire fill for that type of cable. It is a design issue and not a safety code issue.
There is no reference to raceway fill in Article 725, which covers data cables and a specific reference in 800 that says the raceway fill requirements do not apply. 800.110(B)

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Fill data can usually be obtained from the cable manufacturer. A rule of thumb is 40%, however fill for communications/data cables also takes into account pulling tension. That's why you need to go to the manufacturer for specs on their specific cable if the conduit runs are extensive. If you only have short runs, say stub-ups into the ceiling through partitions I wouldn't worry too much as long as it easily fits.

-Hal

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hi
I have searched the code for a reference on sizing conduit for tele/data cable fil and can't find what I need does anyone know where this is if at all?

traditionally, for stubs into a ceiling, you start with 3/4", and add
a trade size for each additional wire, up to 1 1/4", then it's good for a while.

i just pulled nine cat 6E into a 3/4" pvc in a slab to a floor box.
they all certified fine, thanks, but it was kinda like pushing a
marshmallow into a piggy bank. three were spares.. about 60'
total.

ten would not fit. :dunce: :D

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Fill data can usually be obtained from the cable manufacturer. A rule of thumb is 40%, however fill for communications/data cables also takes into account pulling tension. That's why you need to go to the manufacturer for specs on their specific cable if the conduit runs are extensive. If you only have short runs, say stub-ups into the ceiling through partitions I wouldn't worry too much as long as it easily fits.

-Hal
I have seen labels on some low voltage cables that said, "maximum 100' of conduit, deduct 30' per 90? bend".

I also believe that the BISCSI installation standard limits you to a maximum pulling force of 25 pounds for data cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.