Tourist-visited caves, and the NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaset

Hey all,

New poster. While mining is specifically excluded from the NEC, we have a product in development where the interested parties intend to install them in commercial tourist-visited caves. Think Ruby Falls, Mammoth Cave, etc.

I'm trying to figure out where such installation environments square up with the code, so that I can specify the correct cable tails, and pursue the appropriate standards approval.

I've got plenty of experience with the code for portable power situations, but I'm hoping someone here can point me to any cave-specific sections of the code.

Thanks!

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I'm gonna throw damp location out there and then probably leave it at that. No sunlight, so cord might be possible since it's usually hidden.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I suspect that the fire and safety codes will have a greater influence on what you do than the NEC itself. Those will determine what lighting is there for convenience and effect and what is necessary for a safe exit in the event of power failure. Once that is determined, the NEC will limit the wiring methods you must use for each class of load.
Certainly wet area and arguable what parts of the wiring will be exposed to damage (if guests go off the trail).

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Damp? How about downright wet :D. Also that the water might be mildly corrosive.

I was gonna say wet, but not all cave's are, I just figured since it was out of the elements that I would use damp.

I would have to agree too that it could be corrosive. That's why I ddn't even suggest EMT or RMC.

I'm sure that if you went and visited or called another park they would be glad to share any info they have with you.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
To me smurf seems fragile, gets brittle quickly, is hard to make it look good and hard to pull thru. Otherwise it's great.

Well I've been out of the field to long to have ever used it, I've only seen it used. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't get brittle in a cave enviornment. But, I've been wrong before.:ashamed1:

mgookin

As a teenager I was in a cave and we went through a crevice and down into some rooms far below the entry level.
And then 10 years later we were in that same cave again (John Brown's Cave, Harper's Ferry).
The water level was 15-20' higher the second time and we could not enter those same rooms.
I'd call it very wet!

Status
Not open for further replies.