Electric space heater requirements(210.23(A)(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tld38

My post says that this is a portable cord and plug connected heater. There are several receptacles and some lights on this 15 amp ckt. The fuse has blown several times already. As I stated, this heater has a nameplate rating of 1500 watts @ 120V. UL Listed. No other info on nameplate. Heater is plugged into one of the receptacles on this ckt. I am only stating that this heater should not be plugged into any of these receptacles because it violates section 210.23 (A) (1), being that 1500 W exceeds the allowable ampacity of 1440W on a 15 amp ckt,or 12 amps. Heater does have a 15 amp male cord cap, but that does not negate the fact that it exceeds the allowable 80% on this 15 amp ckt.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I do not think it is a big deal. IMO there is no code section that deals with what portable equipment you can plug into an outlet, only if it is dedicated to a specific device.

If it blows the circuit because there is too much total load, so what? move it to another circuit or run a separate circuit for it, or unplug the other stuff on the circuit.

not rocket science.

1500W/125V = 12A * 125% = 15A circuit anyway.

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The reason the portable heaters only have a 15 amp cord cap is simple. If they had a 20 amp cap they would not work in most or any home or office without modification. Second reducing the wattage by 100 watts will probably do nothing to reduce the failure of the outlets. The problem is these heaters are used as permanent heating for which they are not designed for.

tld38

Tenant,s mother sleeps in this room where this heater is located. Technically it is a sun porch, not a bedroom. Heat does get to the sun porch through the register in the room, they want it warmer, hence the heater. This is where the mother sleeps, so this is where the heater will stay. It is not fastened in place.

Occupation
Inspector
Tenant,s mother sleeps in this room where this heater is located. Technically it is a sun porch, not a bedroom. Heat does get to the sun porch through the register in the room, they want it warmer, hence the heater. This is where the mother sleeps, so this is where the heater will stay. It is not fastened in place.

Sounds like the options are a little limited. I would install another circuit and move on.

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
Your concerns are admirable, however there is no basis in code to require a 20 amp receptacle. The heater has a 15 amp cord and plug. That means the manufacturer and listing have determined the heater can be plugged into a 15 amp circuit. You can recommend to the owner that another circuit be put in however telling the owner it is required by code is false.

kwired

Electron manager

I would suggest to the customer that installing a permanently connected heater would be the better way to go. In fact with AFCI requirements today, it would cost less in most cases to install a 240 volt heater than it would to install a 15 or 20 amp 120 volt receptacle.

tld38

I agree 100% on installing a permanent baseboard heater at 240V. There are two duplex receptacles in this room, both on same 15 amp ckt. This is where the tenant,s Mother sleeps, which is why the heater is there. I stated that plugging this heater in one of these receptacles was not code compliant because of [ Table 210.21(B)(2)] maximum cord-and-plug-connected load to receptacle. This heater is 1500 W@120V. 80%=1440W,or 12.5 amps, exceeding the max allowable load of 12 amps on a 15 amp ckt from this table. I specifically went to Mike Holt's, Understanding The NEC, volume 1 articles 90-450 (Page 81,210.21(B)(2) Multiple receptacle loading and also pages 82 and 83. In what I'm understanding from this forum is that I am wrong in stating that this is non compliant because this heater is UL listed, and has a 15 amp male cord cap? I thought I was right about this ,and I thought I did my homework. Thanks again.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree 100% on installing a permanent baseboard heater at 240V. There are two duplex receptacles in this room, both on same 15 amp ckt. This is where the tenant,s Mother sleeps, which is why the heater is there. I stated that plugging this heater in one of these receptacles was not code compliant because of [ Table 210.21(B)(2)] maximum cord-and-plug-connected load to receptacle. This heater is 1500 W@120V. 80%=1440W,or 12.5 amps, exceeding the max allowable load of 12 amps on a 15 amp ckt from this table. I specifically went to Mike Holt's, Understanding The NEC, volume 1 articles 90-450 (Page 81,210.21(B)(2) Multiple receptacle loading and also pages 82 and 83. In what I'm understanding from this forum is that I am wrong in stating that this is non compliant because this heater is UL listed, and has a 15 amp male cord cap? I thought I was right about this ,and I thought I did my homework. Thanks again.
I wouldn't say you don't have bad ideas about wanting to upgrade the circuit or add new circuits, but do not feel there is necessarily an NEC violation of existing equipment either. If the current 15 amp circuit has proper overcurrent protection you can't overload the circuit without operating the protection. The original install was maybe sufficient, but changes in use have come up, this is all complicated by the fact that it is an older non grounding wiring method, but we must remember when it was installed it was not necessarily the wrong thing to do.

tld38

Thanks kwired. Let me refer to Table 210.21(B)(2) Total cord and plug connected load. It clearly states that installing a piece of utilization equipment that exceeds 12 amps on a 15 amp ckt is an NEC violation. 210.23(A)(1) clearly supports this fact. This heater is a piece of utilization equipment, not fastened in place. It can be moved anywhere in the house. But this is where the tenant,s Mother sleeps, And there are only two duplex receptacle outlets in this room where she sleeps. Again 210.23(B)(2) This is clearly a branch ckt that supplies two or more receptacles. In addition, there are receptacles in other rooms, and some lights on this ckt. Please understand, I know how to fix the problem. That is not the issue. plugging this heater in this particular situation, as I have stated in this thread, under these particular circumstances, is a violation, or it is not. I believe it is. I take pride in the work that we all do as electricians, and value the members time in guiding me in the right direction when I need help, and don't want to waste any more of their time than necessary. Please just explain how I am misinterpreting the code sections that I have referenced, so that I can learn from this, and I will move on. Thanks again.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks kwired. Let me refer to Table 210.21(B)(2) Total cord and plug connected load. It clearly states that installing a piece of utilization equipment that exceeds 12 amps on a 15 amp ckt is an NEC violation. 210.23(A)(1) clearly supports this fact. This heater is a piece of utilization equipment, not fastened in place. It can be moved anywhere in the house. But this is where the tenant,s Mother sleeps, And there are only two duplex receptacle outlets in this room where she sleeps. Again 210.23(B)(2) This is clearly a branch ckt that supplies two or more receptacles. In addition, there are receptacles in other rooms, and some lights on this ckt. Please understand, I know how to fix the problem. That is not the issue. plugging this heater in this particular situation, as I have stated in this thread, under these particular circumstances, is a violation, or it is not. I believe it is. I take pride in the work that we all do as electricians, and value the members time in guiding me in the right direction when I need help, and don't want to waste any more of their time than necessary. Please just explain how I am misinterpreting the code sections that I have referenced, so that I can learn from this, and I will move on. Thanks again.

Are we installing a piece of utilization equipment though? Since the user intends to sort of permanently use this in the area maybe we are. This certainly is not a load the original installer overlooked or anything like that. This heater is portable and can be plugged in most anyplace in the house, so do we need a dedicated circuit to every outlet in the house?

I understand your plea for a violation of NEC and the sections you mentioned, but just don't see this as being all that clear that there is indeed a code violation. I do think running a new circuit because they intend to use the heater in a specific location is a good idea, but don't see it as an absolute code requirement, as the heater is not fastened in place nor does it really have a dedicated space. It is no different than bringing a portable fan, or a clock or radio in the room other than those items likely do not draw 1500 watts.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think this is going to come down do did they list and rate this heater at 125V or 120V? If 125V, is draws 12A and does not require an individual branch circuit (but it is at the max permitted on a 15A multi-outlet circuit). I have had power tools that draw 13 or 14 amps and the instructions say to use on an individual branch circuit (although I beleive a 20A circuit would be OK too even though the instructions don't say that).

Does this heater have a high/low power setting? If so, tell them to only use it on a lower setting. If not, I'd recommend they just go buy a smaller heater and have it run longer.

The best solution is a new circuit for a built in heater.

tld38

Thanks kwired. So this portable heater would not meet the definition as defined in 210.23(A)(1)? And 210.21(B)(2) specifically states "shall not supply a total cord-and-plug- connected load in excess of the maximum specified in Table 210.21(B)(2)" Also, Article 90.5 clearly prohibits, or requires an action by the words "shall" or "shall not" An interesting note here: I will reference Mike Holts " Understanding the NEC, Volume 1, Articles 90-450. Please see pg.81 which shows a picture of my exact situation. Permissible loads for cord-and-plug-connected equipment not fastened in place section 210.23(A)(1). The only difference is that in my case, it is a portable electric heater instead of a drill press. If these code sections that I have cited don,t apply to my situation, then what do they apply to? I believe that as an electrician, I have an obligation to know what i,m talking about. I looked up this info, and told tenant that it would be an NEC violation to plug this heater in the 15 amp duplex receptacle in this area that is fed with 14 gauge wire, and on a 15 amp ckt which also has other receptacles and also some lights on the same ckt as well. If I,m wrong, please just help me understand why I am misinterpreting the code on this issue so that I can be a better informed electrician at the end of the day. Thanks again.

david

I think this is going to come down do did they list and rate this heater at 125V or 120V?

As far as the voltage rating on the appliance I would go to 110.4. The rating on the appliance is equal to or exceeds the branch circuit rating. I do not see how 125 volt rating on a appliance lowers the ampacity when used on a 120 volt rated branch circuit.

I do think he is well with- in the parameters of article 422 in his concerns over the branch circuits supplying this appliance. I think it is a violation of 422.10

tld38

Thanks to all. If you go through this thread, you will see that this space heater meets all the criteria for this to be a violation, Portable electric heater, 1500W @ 120V U.L Listed. this is only info on nameplate. 422.10(B) also applies, which specifically references 210.23. It has been brought to my attention that I am incorrect to say that plugging in this heater violates the NEC sections I have cited ,in my particular scenario throughout this thread. I already told the tenant that it was a violation. Now If I'm wrong, I just want to understand why, so that I don,t make this mistake in the future. I will repeat the calc. 1500/120=12.5 amps exceeding the allowable limit of 12 amps, Table 210.21(B)(2) this is a ckt with multiple receptacles and lights, It only exceeds the allowable amount by 1/2 amp, but it still exceeds it, and it is a violation accordingly from what I have read. If i am wrong, I want to understand why I am wrong so that I don't misinterpret what i'm reading again. Thanks again.

tld38

Thanks iwire. My tag states 1500 W @ 120 V. That is all. still comes out to be 12,5 amps on calculation. Therefore a violation, at least in my particular scenario. 20 amp ckt, no problem. That is just not the case. I want to thank you and all members who have contributed to this thread. There's so many more things to learn from you guys, so I will just move on. I have been a loyal Mike Holt fan for years. He has always inspired me, and so do the members on this forum. Thank you all.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Thanks iwire. My tag states 1500 W @ 120 V. That is all. still comes out to be 12,5 amps on calculation. Therefore a violation, at least in my particular scenario. 20 amp ckt, no problem. That is just not the case. I want to thank you and all members who have contributed to this thread. There's so many more things to learn from you guys, so I will just move on. I have been a loyal Mike Holt fan for years. He has always inspired me, and so do the members on this forum. Thank you all.

Just what is it we have learned?

I do not think we have conclusively determined anything at all.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
That tld38 is correct in his assesment that it exceeds 80% is correct that it should be on a 20 amp circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.